Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no spelling or anything, but I did omit the fact that I am licensed and insured. Do you think this will hurt me, should I not bother to hand them out and just reorder them with that information included.

It was a silly mistake, but I have been doing a ton of reading and research for the business end of my work, and it just didn't cross my mind as I was filling out information.

Also is being bonded a big deal?

Lastly, I just picked a standard template from staples, when I do reorder, ( either to correct the mistake, or I run out) should I use a pic of one of my higher end remodels for the card as a talking point for possible clients.
My gut says to reorder, just looking for some opinions... thanks guys and gals

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Business cards are cheap. I'd get a new batch that you can be proud to hand out.

Is this a new business? Welcome to CT. How about doing an intro in the introduction section.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Sigh....

I TOTALLY understand where folks try and save a few $$$ by doing logo's, business cards or whatever themselves.... from standard templates.

But, as contractors, we preach all the time the benefits of using us as licensed, experienced, professionals, rather than a low price hack or DIY. Yet, we don't spend the little bit of extra $$$ to hire a graphic designer or professional who specializes in business cards and the like to design (and usually print) our cards for us. I just don't get it.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here.... but if you had worked with a professional who cares about his craft and is worried about his reputation, he/she would probably have caught the omission before they went to print. Even if they didn't, they would have very likely re-done them for you at no charge when you caught it.

Just sayin....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did make an intro when I first joined. but thanks for the heads up.

Yup new business, been in the trades since I was 13, and finally put together a plan and started learning how to be more profitable and professional with what I do.

I have always been a WOM kind of guy, but those leads are slowing down lately, so I have to get off my butt and do some marketing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I appreciate your input, I plan on using a designer in a few months when I have more to spend. I figured these cards would get me started and then once I have a professional make my logo, Ill be able to make up some shirts and better advertising for flyers, my truck,and some yard signs.

Baby steps..

edit, sorry for the double post..doh

Heres a pic of my card, yea or nay?? aside from leaving out the license info

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Actually, that's better than a LOT of DIY cards I've seen. Well done. :thumbsup:

But, spend the dough and get your license number on there along with the fact that you're bonded and insured. I'd also include the LEAD SAFE logo if you're LS certified (and if you're not, you SHOULD be if you work on homes built prior to 1978), along with any other certifications you may have.

They don't need to be huge, just on there to set you apart from all the rest.

Just my $0.02, FWIW, YMMV, IMHO and all that.

Once again though, good job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Those are actually great tips to include on my card that I had not even thought about. Thanks so much, Lead certification is actually already on the list, I'll be getting that done in a couple of weeks, as well as asbestos certs..

Ill use these sparingly for a few weeks and reorder once I have the certifications completed. thanks for the advice guys!!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I did make an intro when I first joined.
Oops. Old habits die hard. I keep forgetting that they recently changed the post counts not to include those in the intro section.

That card actually looks pretty darn good.

If you add the EPA RRP logo, make sure to get your personal logo with the your number under it to keep it all legal.

Good to have you here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Those are actually great tips to include on my card that I had not even thought about. Thanks so much, Lead certification is actually already on the list, I'll be getting that done in a couple of weeks, as well as asbestos certs..

Ill use these sparingly for a few weeks and reorder once I have the certifications completed. thanks for the advice guys!!
Ok.... I just CAN'T HELP myself. :laughing:

As long as you plan to re-do them, I would also make these changes....

1. Center "Crafty Craftsman" over the text below.

2. Center "Owner" under your name.

3. Make your phone number bigger and move it above your email addy.

Again, just my $0.02, YMMV, FWIW, IMHO and all that.

:whistling

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No worries, and thanks for the welcome. I can't believe that I have not joined earlier, I have been reading for days. I have worked with a handful of people through my life, very good at what they do, and teaching, but some terms for what we do in the industry is quite different from what I learned.

as an example I never knew that mixing your own drywall mud was called hot mudding, been doing it my whole life and just took it for granted as I never use the premix stuff in buckets..lol

@ completew&d ...consider me a sponge ..lol I'm all for hearing what other have to say, and those would make it look better.

So is being bonded a big deal if I am insured and licensed? Do you think it makes the consumer feel safer than going with someone who is not?

·
Registered
819 Posts
if your competing with bottom end contractors from craigs list then advertising your licensed and insured may be a big deal...if your competing based upon your reputation and referrals it really doesn't matter.....if the customer already knows your legit they aren't even going to read your card....all depends on what market your in

my alcoholic handyman brother always put bonded/insured on his card...he wasn't...I don't think people trust it just because you say it.....

for me my license is important...by law I need to have it on my cards....Master Plumber #657469....people have looked me up

cards are cheap....reprint it if you don't like it.....don't be one of those guys who writes the extra info on the card because he cant spend $100 to get new cards

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
All "Licensed and insured" does, for the most part, is plant the seed of wondering why you feel a need to say so. IMO, it brands you as a noob, or at the least not very savvy.

Obviously, you need to be able to demonstrate that you are both if questioned, and many areas require that you include your license number on all "advertising", but that's a different issue.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Ozzie, please take this with a grain of salt, as I am not ocd. But it appears as if the text isn't in line with the cabinet lines. If correct, that would bother me more than the original issue. I do like the photograph. The licensed bonded text is small potatoes. If you can provide proof when , asked you'd are good

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Sigh....

I TOTALLY understand where folks try and save a few $$$ by doing logo's, business cards or whatever themselves.... from standard templates.

But, as contractors, we preach all the time the benefits of using us as licensed, experienced, professionals, rather than a low price hack or DIY. Yet, we don't spend the little bit of extra $$$ to hire a graphic designer or professional who specializes in business cards and the like to design (and usually print) our cards for us. I just don't get it.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here.... but if you had worked with a professional who cares about his craft and is worried about his reputation, he/she would probably have caught the omission before they went to print. Even if they didn't, they would have very likely re-done them for you at no charge when you caught it.

Just sayin....
Because remodeling someone's home isn't anything like throwing a business card together. The guy is out maybe $50? Cheap price to pay not to pay some jamoke $1200 to design logo, cards and letterhead.

We don't need to hire "professionals" in every field in order to not be hypocrites promoting the hiring of professionals in our field.

I enter in my own QuickBooks and send it off to the CPA. It's not inconsistent to do this. I could send in my receipts and have them balance my books every month, but there is no reason to hire a "pro" anytime I might make a mistake or two doing something that is not my trained profession.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just got my business cards sorted out... Sent in my "concept" that took me (a carpenter) several hours to get to where I thought it was good. Graphic designer spends a bit of time on cleaning it up and the thing looks fantastic! Definitely have a lot of respect for what a good graphic designer can do...

I'd consider having someone go over it before you add "licensed and insured"... Worked out very well for me.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Because remodeling someone's home isn't anything like throwing a business card together. The guy is out maybe $50? Cheap price to pay not to pay some jamoke $1200 to design logo, cards and letterhead.
We don't need to hire "professionals" in every field in order to not be hypocrites promoting the hiring of professionals in our field.

I enter in my own QuickBooks and send it off to the CPA. It's not inconsistent to do this. I could send in my receipts and have them balance my books every month, but there is no reason to hire a "pro" anytime I might make a mistake or two doing something that is not my trained profession.
I paid a professional $250 for my logo design (although he was a lot cheaper than he would have been because he really only augmented what I had already done).

And, I paid a fellow CT member $60
http://www.plan-itgraphics.com/business_cards.html
who does graphic design, to take my logo and design a business card for me.

So I paid a whopping $310, got nice looking stuff (a matter of opinion of course) and I didn't spend two hours di**ing around with a template builder, designing something on my own that wouldn't have looked as good.

But hey.... just my $0.02, YMMV, FWIW, IMHO and all that.

Sorry for the thread jack OZZIE.... but Rob can be so darned argumentative sometimes :mad: Even when someone is trying to help.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
To the OP, go with your own picture. The one you chose is use way too often on Vista. I was at one of the local tile suppliers last month and was looking through the contractor information and there were two that caught my eye.

One was a business card and another was a postcard with the same background picture. To me it's dishonest to display work on your marketing material that is not your own work. And if a customer sees the picture you used on someone else's marketing material your integrity may be called into question.

I wouldn't redo the cards but not because you left off your license numbers but for the stock background pic.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
To me it's dishonest to display work on your marketing material that is not your own work. And if a customer sees the picture you used on someone else's marketing material your integrity may be called into question.

I wouldn't redo the cards but not because you left off your license numbers but for the stock background pic
That's EXCELLENT advice. See? I had NO IDEA that was a stock Vista Print photo. Since I didn't use them, I have no idea what their photo list looks like. :laughing:

But, Rob is right about the integrity side.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts