Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of machines are everyone running. We use Galaxy 2000 's. They are great machines. 7.5 hp and they use the drum or the belt. I highly recommend this machine for anyone that does old and new floors. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Those things are too big and nasty for me. What was the biggest selling point for you?

·
Registered
76 Posts
adams said:
What type of machines are everyone running. We use Galaxy 2000 's. They are great machines. 7.5 hp and they use the drum or the belt. I highly recommend this machine for anyone that does old and new floors. :Thumbs:
Ditto. It is really big. A real pain in the a$$ if it's a small job. This woman kept begging me to do her small 130 ft kitchen. Two swipes and I was done with the big sander. Took me all of ten minutes to sand and 30 minutes to set up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donedat said:
Those things are too big and nasty for me. What was the biggest selling point for you?

Right they are monsters but you get used to it. We were really attracted to the machine because of the belt/drum feature. We like to rough sand using the drum, where you have to put your own paper on and then finish up with 50, and 100 with the belt. Works great!! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Can you just get a solid drum with no slot in it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Synteko is now marketing the Galaxy machines. Imagine that. The just might be a challenge to Bona in that they offer a wider range of products. Not only do they offer machines, DCS, water and oil finish, cleaning kits, they also offer Acid Cure finishes called Synteko Classic. I smell competition in the air folks. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
375 Posts
hulk said:
we use galaxy omega 8 drum to ruff and a belted to slick
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I have used drums before, but found I like the speed of a belt sander. I've used the Orebro 10" before. That is a belt. I would sure like to try the Galaxy in a belt though. Sounds like an awesome beast of a machine.

I've been using the Lagler Hummel forever. Do the Galaxies leave the "ripple" effect or do they sand truly flat all the way?

·
Registered
375 Posts
My Lagler Hummel has been leaving "ripples" in the floor. Especially soft wood. I'm thinking it's time for a tune-up but do the other brands do that? It looks pretty bad in the reflection.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donedat said:
My Lagler Hummel has been leaving "ripples" in the floor. Especially soft wood. I'm thinking it's time for a tune-up but do the other brands do that? It looks pretty bad in the reflection.
We just got a new brand new Galaxy 2000 that was leaving what we call chatter marks, So we sent it back and it had a bad drum. But the other machines, same kind, have done well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow. Now I don't feel bad. I've had this machine since '99 and haven't changed the drum. I've changed the tension roller at least once.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Certain year Hummels had problems that you describe dondat. Something about going with a slower rpm. I think there was a pulley replacement recommended. Not sure if they ever got it straightened out. You might ask at floormasters.com. Bill Price mentioned something about it.
You might think about replacing the wheels. If they sit too long in one spot, they can get flat spots. Hummel also recommends sanding at a 15 deg angle on all papers but the last. I've never had the guts to do that but it would help with waves.
My old hummel has been outstanding. A new one I setup for a shop has been doing well also. No better manchine for a one man operation imo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
As I mentioned, I mine is a '99. The new style with the yellow emergency shut-off box came out in the early '90's. The difference between that one and the one before it seems like it was the angle of the pipe. I'm a tall person and I'm wondering if the way I'm pulling on the machine causes the drum to lift up just enough to cause a little skip from time to time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks Justin. I'll check it out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts