Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my good friend Jim gave me a M18 grinder for Christmas. When I first opened it I noticed when you turn by hand it feels kind of weird. My best description is like a weak synchro/servo where you are slipping poles. Or like some volume knobs on stereo's Thad have bump as you turn them.
I assumed it was normal but today was first usage day. I was grinding off the heads of nail in concrete anchors. It would bog down and chatter then overload off.
Is this normal? It is the 2680-20 paddle switch style. Anyone else have one of these? Are they only goos for very light work?
Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally had a chance to get back to HD to try and sort this out tonight at 8:30.
The only guy in the tool dept is the older gentleman ed that I am used to seeing manning the key cutter.
He's not sure how these are supposed to work and I can not show him Becuase after ridding around with this grinder on the front seat for days waiting I needed the battery and forgot to bring a fresh one back to demonstrate with.
I got sent to the tool rental locker and the girl there did not know how they should work either. So I just returned it for store credit since defective or not it's not working the way I expected.

But I would like to hear from someone who has the M18 grinder- how does it sound at start & stop, and does it chatter back and forth when you bog it down?

I do want one of these grinders if they have any balls at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
anytime I have used mine it has been plenty powerful and run very smoothly I think you just got a bad one and I would exchange it for another one because its a handy tool to have around

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anytime I have used mine it has been plenty powerful and run very smoothly I think you just got a bad one and I would exchange it for another one because its a handy tool to have around
Thanks, When its off and you spin the disk by hand does it spin freely or does it have a brakeing that kind clicks? How does it act if you slow it down too much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
when you spin the disk by hand there is some resistance but ive never had any clicking and if you run it too slow it will bog down but most of the time im running it wide open cutting pipe or bolts or what have you so its never been a problem for me

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I think with algore's internet, a lot of information is out there and sometimes it leads to too much information, and this leads people to think they have a defective product because....

Tools, especially battery operated ones are a commodity. That costs $100. Use it and if it lasts a year, you're ahead. If you use it hard, do production work with it, then you'd not buy that battery tool and get a corded.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stopped by HD today with a battery and a disc.
A couple guys and I from the contractors desk tried out three grinders and ALL of them have a clicking sound when spun by hand. Also all three would stop and chatter when you leaned into the work. All three would also chatter fwd/back if you bogged it down enough to stop then lifted it off the work while keeping it switched on.
We came to the conclusion that the clicking when turned by hand must be a brake of some sort. The chattering when bogged down would be the electrical overload.
my theory on the overload is: slowing down the machine by high load increases the amps heating the overload breaker which trips, cools and resets all in about .2 seconds or so. If the paddle switch is still engaged then the motor tries to start. But since its stopped even with no load the starting current is enough to trip the overload again before it gets past the first "click" of the brake. The overload cools again, tries to start ............

Thats my theory. My buddy has a few Ryobi's he bought for his guys to wire wheal silicone roof coating that ended up in the wrong places. He is going to bring them by for me to compare how much balls they have compared to the M18.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts