Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer has contracted there own foundation crew and we are to build off of there finished block basement. The block crew is going to put in the headers above two 9x8 garage door openings. These are on the hip side of the roof with one floor above. My question is instead of nailing the two 16" LVL'S together they are making a box header with insulation in between LVL'S. The LVL'S are approximatly 5" apart. Do you think this will be ok being only one of the LVL'S will be under the rim board for the floor and also be supporting the wall/hip roof frameing above?

·
Design Build
8,328 Posts
Customer has contracted there own foundation crew and we are to build off of there finished block basement. The block crew is going to put in the headers above two 9x8 garage door openings. These are on the hip side of the roof with one floor above. My question is instead of nailing the two 16" LVL'S together they are making a box header with insulation in between LVL'S. The LVL'S are approximatly 5" apart. Do you think this will be ok being only one of the LVL'S will be under the rim board for the floor and also be supporting the wall/hip roof frameing above?
I might be off with what I am envisioning.

Basement block wall (8") with (2) 9-0 8-0 doors in the block, so the garage is in the basement.

Are they putting one LVL to the inside for the door track and motor stuff to be attached to? Typically I see a double header flushed to the outside of framing with the inside space filled with rigid foam for insulation. On garages we furr out flush to the inside so that sheetrock and hardware are all flush.

As far as a single 16" x 1 3/4" LVL under the rim, spanning 9'-3", only your engineering will tell you if that is acceptable.

So, is the rim going to sit parallel directly on top of the outside LVL? That seems sketchy. I guess if they "box" it like you say with a 2x8 cap top and bottom it might be okay. Sorry I'm not much help......I am a picture oriented kind of man.....if you have a second to sketch out what you have I can be less "out there flappin."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are putting one lvl on outside block wall directly under rim board and the other flush with inside block wall with the sill plate running along the top to cap it off. On the bottom there is a 2X cut to fit up in between the lvl's.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I've never seen a garage header with two lvl's put together. But if your plans show them that way, then don't deviate from it. If it doesn't pass inspection, having to remodel a garage header is a real pain.

But why would you want to insulate a garage header? Are they planning on keeping the garage nice and warm? Plus if the garage doors aren't insulated then how much good will insulating the headers do?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plans don't show a header for the doors only has a foundation plan for basement. So guess they feel this is the way to go. I am not for sure on this one. I believe the one 16" LVL would be ok on the outside under the rim board. Hate to jump in and tell the foundation crew how to build a header since they have probably done them this way many times before. What to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also cant imagine why they would want to insulate between the headers and why are the block guys in stalling headers anyway? Evenso, they should be slammed together and furring put on the inside, they will hold the load no prob iv'e actually done that a couple times, just make sure the out side lvl is flush with the block, will sux come time for sheathing.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm calling B/S.
I've read all of your posts.
Either you are a HO trying to
act as your own general, or
you are second guessing your GC
on every move and coming here
for ammunition.

Reactions: wallmaxx

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
I've never seen a garage header with two lvl's put together. But if your plans show them that way, then don't deviate from it. If it doesn't pass inspection, having to remodel a garage header is a real pain.

But why would you want to insulate a garage header? Are they planning on keeping the garage nice and warm? Plus if the garage doors aren't insulated then how much good will insulating the headers do?
Really??
I have never seen a single ply Lvl garage header in my entire life. I would think that spacing these two plys 5 inches apart is a definite no no. That being said, I would never ask for engineering advice here. Nobody here is gonna sign off on this no matter what.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
The plans don't show a header for the doors only has a foundation plan for basement. So guess they feel this is the way to go. I am not for sure on this one. I believe the one 16" LVL would be ok on the outside under the rim board. Hate to jump in and tell the foundation crew how to build a header since they have probably done them this way many times before. What to do?
Your plans should have the details on what is to be built.

Why are you using LVL's instead og a U Lintel?

Is there a Bond Beam?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Really??
I have never seen a single ply Lvl garage header in my entire life. I would think that spacing these two plys 5 inches apart is a definite no no. That being said, I would never ask for engineering advice here. Nobody here is gonna sign off on this no matter what.
We use glu-lams or parallams around here. But yeah I would think spacing them apart is a definite no no.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all the guys who have ideas to pass on to others. As for the SUPER BUILDERS WALLMAX AND NEOLITIC they think they Know everything and you should not be able to ask a question about something and if you do it is just stupid. I thought this was a forum for questions and opinions? I give you this I do have alot of questions I am moving up from re-modeling and additions to full home building and I do second guess myself sometimes that is why I would think you could come here and ask a few questions and get a honest opinion with out being looked down on. Again thanks to the professional builders who show a little class when someone as a question.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The plans don't show a header for the doors only has a foundation plan for basement.
Do you know how to read the plans? How did you get a permit with only a foundation plan? There has to be a full set of plans somewhere. There is supposed to be a full set on site at all times for the inspectors to reference. There should be something specified somewhere on the plans in reference to the header. Even if just to say header to be engineered by others. If your using LVL's there will be specifications supplied by whom ever engineered them. This normally includes support spans, bolting/ nailing patterns, and any other pertinent information.

Did the homeowner have the plans drawn up also? If so how did you bid your portion of the project without having a set? You know the plans and specifications can affect the project cost, right? I'm inclined to agree with neo,wallmaxx, and superbuild. I think you are a HO posing as a GC. If not you are really wet behind the ears and should be second guessing taking on projects this size or bigger as you obviously are not ready for them.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Thanks to all the guys who have ideas to pass on to others. As for the SUPER BUILDERS WALLMAX AND NEOLITIC they think they Know everything and you should not be able to ask a question about something and if you do it is just stupid. I thought this was a forum for questions and opinions? I give you this I do have alot of questions I am moving up from re-modeling and additions to full home building and I do second guess myself sometimes that is why I would think you could come here and ask a few questions and get a honest opinion with out being looked down on. Again thanks to the professional builders who show a little class when someone as a question.
Remodeling is harder to do than building a house, how did you get your contractors license?

Asking questions is one thing, asking basic questions you should know if you are a licensed contractor is another.

If you don't know what you are doing with the header and it isn't on the plans, how did you bid the job?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
This site is for professionals asking professional questions. Your questions are more towards what others here feel are amateur questions which possibly means you are a homeowner or a GC over his head. I'm not 100% convinced yet so I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but the more questions you ask that appear to be aligned with what a HO would ask, then I'm more inclined to send you over to the DIY sister site.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
dvd, Framerman is more generous than I am. I am green for a GC at 26yo and would absolutely know that with an lvl system, I should look at the ENGINEERED plans and install as specified. You're either a HO or you really should not be a GC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts