Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not a dealer of either of those brands (used to sell Trane though) and all I can say is that no matter what the brand, if it isn't sized and installed correctly, it will be junk. Shop for your contractor, not the brand of equipment.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
The funny thing with HCAC equipment is that it's all built with the same handfull of manufacturer's parts inside. There's only about 4 common compressor manufacturers, and 2 popular furnace control board manufacturers. I'm almost saying that every brand is nearly the same inside (almost). You'd be surprised at how many furnaces and condensing units are completely identical. I installed one the other month that had 4 different logos in the shipping carton that I could snap on the unit to make it whatever brand I wanted.

I agree with HVAC Doc's advice. Shop for a quality contractor and you'll have no worries.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
HVAC Doc said:
...Shop for your contractor, not the brand of equipment.
That is some awesomely valuable advice. :Thumbs: Thanks Doc

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am not sure, as I am in the Amana line, but I have heard that the American lines are pretty good.
Keyspan had a program for replacements, and they were providing them. To be honest I though they were nice units.

Again apples to oranges, its up to you.

I think Heat controller makes the Century line and 2 others.

BJD

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have sold many different brands of Equipment over the years and have found all of them have their weak points. When I took over the business from my father, we sold Carrier, Trane, Lennox. Now, we still sell Carrier and some lennox, but I have since dropped Trane and am using much more Amana. I have even talked with the folks at York UPG ( York, Coleman, Luxaire, Guardian, Evcon brands) since they have a factory right here in town and distribution center. To me, it is important that my Brand/Distributor takes care of me so I can take care of my customer. That means letting me know when an issue arises with a product so I can get it corrected for my customer. That means providing me with parts/upgrades/new unit if need be and not having to go back and ask more from my customer. As Mdshunk stated, components inside are made by a couple manufactures like Honeywell or White-Rodgers with what ever variation made for specific manufactures. Many brands use a White-Rodgers ignition control although still a few proprietary ones out there. Copeland Scroll compressors or Bristol compressors are used except for Trane/American Standard recips which are their own. You won't find anything other than a GE ECM motor in any brand of residential variable speed furnaces. What makes them "different" is how the manufacture has the power head programmed for their brand of furnace. That's why I say "shop for a contractor" to find one that is looking to take care of you, not just feed you "Brand X is the best and Brand Y is a piece of junk" pitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts