Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am told that the lumber manufacturers in Canada are still producing, just not shipping due to Covid regulations.

Does anyone know how true this is? If it is true, will this create a flood of materials when they can ship at will?

Just trying to decide if I want to start a small stock pile of 2x6. I would hate to be sitting on overpriced materials, but even worse would be to not be able to get materials we need.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Probably relevant, commodities are just like any other market.

Maybe get a small stock going just incase you run into supply line issues, but don't go HAM on it because that could backfire hard.

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
So, I am told that the lumber manufacturers in Canada are still producing, just not shipping due to Covid regulations.

Does anyone know how true this is? If it is true, will this create a flood of materials when they can ship at will?

Just trying to decide if I want to start a small stock pile of 2x6. I would hate to be sitting on overpriced materials, but even worse would be to not be able to get materials we need.
Watch a few commentaries by the uneducated economist on YouTube. A lumber guy who discusses the market. Mills are still pumping and supply is building, and the market doesn't turn on a dime, so things are gonna fall soon. Faster than people think is my guess.

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Fall as in reduced price or what?
Reduced prices definitely. It sounds like there will be a reset (lower) once the expensive stuff in the supply chain clears...and if potential buyers do the "wait and see", then sellers may get squeezed.
Watch a few episodes and give me your take.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Watch a few commentaries by the uneducated economist on YouTube. A lumber guy who discusses the market. Mills are still pumping and supply is building, and the market doesn't turn on a dime, so things are gonna fall soon. Faster than people think is my guess.
There is more lumber stacked and moving through our own mill town than I have seen in years.

Eventually it will hit the market.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dont know how its been in other areas but here in San Diego supply hasnt seemed to be the issue lately, its the prices! Last year it was the opposite. For a period there, plywood and pressure treated just werent on the shelves but now that plywood is almost $100/sheet the shelves are full!

Im gonna take my chances and hold off for now with lumber. Im thinking/hoping the prices will at least dip a little bit in the near future. And besides, i dont wanna sit on a stockpile of potentially soon to be overpriced wood.

On some of the smaller items that are only having supply issues i am gonna stock up. Too many little things have been missing off the shelves recently. Electrical parts, drywall, mud and spray texture, ect. Prices havent gone up yet but availability has been spotty @ best. No reason not to stock up now before prices rise or I really need them for a job and cant find them.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts