Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why buy anything from them box stores...

Stand in line to return chit from hd...

NO FRIGGIN' way....got way better things to do with my time.

Who's paying who what wages while your standing there...

So now you are spending time picking material, loading on a cart, stand in line to check out, go load it on your truck, drive to job and unload????

And then load your 20% back on the truck, drive to hd, unload onto a cart, go inside and stand in line again to get your money...

What am i missing?????
Unless it's just a handful of studs I always order for delivery. I don't waste time picking and loading it myself. Just order extra and select on the job site. Don't care about the delivery cost.
I do lumber returns from multiple jobs all in one go, maybe 2-3 times a year. Hardly much of a time investment.
I also find negligible price difference between HD and local lumber yards.
I also like getting the points at HD which add up to a few grand a year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No big box for me either. Couple local stores I use. Kinda like cheers in there.

I only use trex on decks these days. If customer insists on wood decking. I thank them for their time and suggest they find someone else.

Besides I'm finishing a 20x18 deck and there was only about 500 dollars difference between trex and regular treated deck lumber. Put 2 wood decks on in the lifespan of one trex.

When explained I haven't had one person insist on using tge lumber decking. It makes my life way easier. No straightening warped boards. No culling. Or special placing, or any other shaninigans....

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Wood grows.

Wood burns.

Wood is renewable.

At the end of its life, it biodegrades.

Trex is plastic garbage that will end up in a landfill.

That will be America’s legacy to the world. A big stinking pile of plastic $)(t.

The Egyptians left us the pyramids.

Europe bequeathed us the cathedrals.

America will leave us with Walmart, in a big pile out in the desert.

🙄

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
America also left the world Democracy, Freedom and saved the world from Fascism a few times.

Our latest problems not withstanding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Don't any of you guys buy lumber from big box stores? I stopped using local yards years ago mainly for the no-questions-asked ease of returns with HD, Lowes, etc.

I always order about 20% extra and return the rest, the return desk folks don't give a crap and they'll take it back no matter what it looks like. Beats wasting time hand picking lumber.
I have to some degree.

Discount yard, I don’t take any back.

Big box, I take everything back I don’t need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
America also left the world Democracy, Freedom and saved the world from Fascism a few times.

Our latest problems not withstanding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I was talking more on the physical side, and our unmatched ability to produce waste product. 😳🤣🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some good suggestions in this thread, thank you. Regarding Trex vs real wood. I’ve cultivated a good portion of my client base that live in log homes. I refinish/maintain those homes. Those customers, whose homes are surrounded by huge fir trees can’t get excited about fake wood. Besides if they wanted easy maintenance they wouldn't live in a log house.
I’ve got a new decking project slates for next month. Already ordered the materials from a supplier Ive only dealt with twice before(both good experiences). Anxious to see the quality they deliver.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts