Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going rate for installing luan? I live in Maryland.
I have a job that is 6300sqft Going tomorrow, and can you give me any pointers on installing it?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
It should be 500 bucks a sheet if your going to be held liable.
especially if vinyl will be installed on it.
if a floating floor is going on it, it may be no big deal.

maybe for that size amount, possibly 25 bucks a sheet?
I live in Alaska so I am pretty clueless for lower 48 prices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Florcraft said:
It should be 500 bucks a sheet if your going to be held liable.
especially if vinyl will be installed on it.
if a floating floor is going on it, it may be no big deal.

maybe for that size amount, possibly 25 bucks a sheet?
I live in Alaska so I am pretty clueless for lower 48 prices.
VCT is going over it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
GKEYS55 said:
VCT is going over it.

Be sure at the very least that is is an underlayment grade luan . What most dont realize is that there are several grades ,and out of all of them ,very few are underlayment quality. The difference being the glue used to make it.

Your best bet is to use a subfloor that is recommended by the manufacturor of the VCT going in.

That being said, just be sure that the floor your going over has been scraped of all the sheet rock mud and such and swept good.

I use 1 1/4" long 1/4" crown,underlayment staples. Every 4 inches or so in the field and every two inches at the seams. Be sure your compressor is set right so the staples countersink without blowing through. And please pound any in that did not sink!

Keep your seams tight and cut tightly around door casings and showers and the like.

Be sure to use plenty of staples,because to be quite honest ,luan isnt the best underlay for VCT. You dont want it to move or flex at all.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I would use 1/4 multiply for the least.
5/8 underlay grade plywood is even better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is .40 sqft a good price that's $12.80 a sheet. Installing 1/4inch Luan. Now Im doing the job through a company as a sub. Im installing over 6000sqft.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For 1/4 inch underlayment I 4x8 would be about $18/sheet labor. I don't use luaunn anymore though, only 5-ply Birch for my customers. Thats alot of footage you have so good luck getting a fair price as a sub.

Ditto everything Mike said. Luaunn is garbage, even underlayment grade, IMO. But make sure it is at least that good. Watch out for voids. They like to hide.

I wouldn't gaurantee anything over Luaunn.

Good luck,
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts