Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the heck are these bad boys so hard to drive nails through. First time I ever used them was on this current job. I dislike them already. Spent more time breaking bent nails off than driving them home. What do you guys do?

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't think that would have worked for our purposes but good to know. We used them to double up 2x10 floor joist in a remodel. The Homeowner wanted LVL and the lumber yard said LSL was the same for a cheaper price. This homeowner knows a lot and was discouraged that we were using LSL because they aren't as strong as LVLs. But he was ok with using them so... I would have prefered LVLs.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Why the heck are these bad boys so hard to drive nails through. First time I ever used them was on this current job. I dislike them already. Spent more time breaking bent nails off than driving them home. What do you guys do?
How come you're not using a gun?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
My hitachi gun nails um just fine :whistling. Actually, between my framer and my paslode positve placement, I think I've driven less than 10 nails by hand into engineered lumber. :thumbup:

·
Pro
506 Posts
palm nailer for nails, or impact gun for trussloks for sistering. automotive impact driver is best for tight bays. many times you can get away with just using the makita cordless impact coupled with an articulating hex bit:thumbsup:.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You could predrill and screw them with a RA drill if all else fails.:thumbsup:

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i was able to use the nail gun on them but they are so hard the nail only drives half way most of the time. Then the nail bends and fails to drive the whole way in. Some of the nails did go all the way in. I wonder if the compressor is just old and not holding enough air? I dunno but I am glad it is done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts