Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,244 Posts
Using steel siding I don't have to worry about that. And I not caulking butt joint neither.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wasn't speaking to cost at all. I just like the bear skins as they are self stick and gray. I don't like the look of silver flashing behind the joints. I still know old timers who cut their own tar paper for flash cards.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I wasn't speaking to cost at all. I just like the bear skins as they are self stick and gray. I don't like the look of silver flashing behind the joints. I still know old timers who cut their own tar paper for flash cards.
I generally paint siding after it’s installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I’ve only seen a few prefinished here in PNW.

Don’t they all need paint after a few years anyway?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

I painted mine and doesn't need a repaint going on 8 years. I used Quad on all the joints, I don't like the look of joint covers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We use Smartside quite a bit, I like it much better than Hardie - easier to handle, way less dust, installs like wood....We also put metal behind all the butt joints.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts

Not that I have seen, I did an addition to match a house sided in 2009, 7 years later and the prefinished matched perfectly. It even met on an inside corner. Other than a pressure wash I have seen the prefinshed last 15 years so far. It stinks that you have to order 2 sq to get the prefinished so replacing windows and doors can be a pain and no one wants to store the stuff.

I don't know what's in the water in MA (I do that's why I won't even give it to my dog.) No one wants to pay to paint the exterior of their house. Everything here is FJP and I tell clients every 5-7 years for paint.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts