Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I spelled that right. Anyways I don't know how many of you follow YouTube, but the the Perkins Brothers just released a video on siding. I didn't finish it, as I already know their thoughts from a previous video, but they were again discussing Smartside vs fiber cement. They prefer the smartside, I haven't dealt with smartside much or fiber cement at all so this is more of a general question. What are your experiences with these? Intuitively fiber cement seems much more of a future proof option, and I could be wrong but I don't think there's a huge price difference between the two. At face value it seems like smartside is easier to install but much more susceptible to water damage. I know paint is an amazing thing, but it's still just osb essentially. Anyways let me know what your experience has been. At least there both better than vinyl.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,251 Posts
I have only installed it on one house so far with another one coming up this spring. It was ok to work with, easy to cut no real dust. I think the important thing with it is painting all non-factory cuts. While it may look like OSB I believe it is quite different in glue and density. I would use it any day over Hardie. My main stay or first choice for siding is still steel though.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I resided my house last year, and I couldn’t decide between the two. Installed correctly, either one will last a long time. I would be happy with either one.

• The smartside is nice because it has a beveled drip edge as well as a baked on finish.
  • Smartside is 16 foot lengths. Fewer butt joints.
  • Smartside is easy to cut, dust is not an issue.
  • They do make gecko gauges for the 3/8 material.

With Hardie board,

- A guillotine and a nibbler make for a nearly dust free installation.

On either one, I put metal flashing behind the butt joints.

I ended up installing smooth Hardie. Entirely cosmetic preference.

·
Registered
Remodeling and Renovations
46 Posts
I use smart siding a lot down here in Texas. It goes up fast and is easy to install. As long as it is caulked and finished correctly it looks great. I have resided several homes that had the 80s or 90s Hardie version and it is extremely brittle so in terms of longevity, I think they are about the same in my experience as long as taken care of.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I hate working with Hardi it's heavy, snaps easy, 12 ft lengths. I also love the final product, it really does hold up well if installed correctly. I did and addition in 2017 and it met with an inside corner of a 2009 addition. The prefinished color was still perfect, couldn't tell the difference between walls once pressure washed. The right tools make all the difference in working with it.

Never used or know anyone who has used Smartside very interested in trying the product at some point.

·
Windwash
630 Posts
They both look great but I think the Hardie will win the longevity race. Oldest Hardie job I have was a new garage in 2004 and I see it every couple months. Still has the same paint we put on and no issues. Oldest LP job we've done is probably only 5 Years out so will have to wait and see.

If I have a choice I will pick LP for the 16' lengths and less dust, especially when ripping. Really sucks ripping 5/4 Hardie trim.

IMO Hardie looks best on cut up houses with short walls and lots of fenestrations. Also, I don't like to use anything over a 6" reveal with the Hardie.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
We installed Smartside on a house about 8 years ago. 3 years ago a serious hail storm came through. When I say serious, I'm talking about windows and winshields smashed. I was out at the house we did the smartside. Absouletly no maintenance in 5 years. It looked brand new. All of the neighbors with vinyl siding had to replace everything. The Smartside was perfect.

Beyond that, I figure about 4X the labor to install. We take our time and do everything to spec. It's expensive, I'm not taking any chances.

I would do it again, with no hesitation.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We installed Smartside on a house about 8 years ago. 3 years ago a serious hail storm came through. When I say serious, I'm talking about windows and winshields smashed. I was out at the house we did the smartside. Absouletly no maintenance in 5 years. It looked brand new. All of the neighbors with vinyl siding had to replace everything. The Smartside was perfect.

Beyond that, I figure about 4X the labor to install. We take our time and do everything to spec. It's expensive, I'm not taking any chances.

I would do it again, with no hesitation.
Wow, 4x, that's a lot! Is that compared to Hardie or vinyl?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I don't figure that much extra for labor, although it does take extra time and cost more than my steel lap siding. personally, I would not put Hardie on a doghouse, I will not install it. Have seen way to much of it on the ground sucked off by the wind around here.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't figure that much extra for labor, although it does take extra time and cost more than my steel lap siding. personally, I would not put Hardie on a doghouse, I will not install it. Have seen way to much of it on the ground sucked off by the wind around here.
Funny you mention that, I actually put smart side on a dog house I built in my carpentry course. That's the extent of my experience with it. It's holding up fine but it's only been a couple years. As far as steel siding, I didnt even know that was still used. What part of the country are you from?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Funny you mention that, I actually put smart side on a dog house I built in my carpentry course. That's the extent of my experience with it. It's holding up fine but it's only been a couple years. As far as steel siding, I didnt even know that was still used. What part of the country are you from?
Montana, still a good amount of it put on in this part of the country. A very good product, especially on resides. IMO been putting it on for 20 + years.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Smartsiding is my choice. Used it on several houses/projects. Having a small roller and bucket of paint to seal up the cut ends is no problem. Likewise, gapping the butt joints and caulk look fine after it is painted. (Remember how the cedar siding would shrink?). Plus, the 16’ lengths and ease of handling them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I prefer working with LP smartside. I dislike working with cement board siding because of the shorter lengths, the weight and the dust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I switched to Smartside 7 years ago when doing resides. I still have to deal with Hardi on the beaded lap siding profile but love the process and look on LP.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Smartside has a pretty good match to the no longer available old Masonite stucco sheet. I have no doubt it is far superior to it as well. It's close enough match that the pattern blends right in.
Hardi has to be primered to spec, or the paint will peel...been there. I hate everything about cutting Hardi.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've had cut pieces of smart side sit outside thru a PA winter with no sign of damage.

Ended up using it on a addition on my house. I got primed, not painted.

Goes up easy, cuts easy. Primed all edges, caulked butt joints with quad, 2 coats of duration. It's been great ever since. 5 years or so now

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Hack
3,091 Posts
I'm dying to try LP.
All I've ever used is Hardi and just the fact that LP is easier to work with (while seeming to have similar durability), and comes in 16' lengths makes me want to try it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts