Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Work too cheap
40 Posts
I can't get anyone to show up for $12-13 hr for labor. I hear everyone complaining at Menards and Carter about not having work but no one will show up if I hire them.....but I'm not the easiest guy to work for....I expect the person to actually WORK, not talk or text on their cell phone all day. I pay my other guys very well but laborers just don't want to well....do Labor

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I can't get anyone to show up for $12-13 hr for labor. I hear everyone complaining at Menards and Carter about not having work but no one will show up if I hire them.....but I'm not the easiest guy to work for....I expect the person to actually WORK, not talk or text on their cell phone all day. I pay my other guys very well but laborers just don't want to well....do Labor
That is because evryone including the laborer's want to be the boss and owner of the company, yet they are too lazy to put in a full days work.

I don't allow the laborer's to have cell phones or ciggarettes on the job, if they need to smoke or talk on the phone they can do it during their am or pm break or lunch break.

I expect 7 hours of work out of an 8 hour day, yet I am an a hole.

I asked one helper week before last to move a piece of metal decking to the second floor, he said it was too heavy and wanted Vinny to do it, I said "I will f'n do it", went to the container to get a pair of gloves, when I came back, the helper had Vinny moving it, I asked him why, he said it was heavy, I explained to him it was his job to be the helper, not to pull my framer off of what he was doing to do his job, it was going to be his last day that day anyway, but that was the last straw.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Mike
How do you know or come up with such a statement? You have no idea what went on in my business.
I can make those comments based one what you said you did.

My response is 100% accurate based on what you posted about how you didn't pay overtime that was due.

Listen - listen good.

JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN.

Get it?

Your system makes perfect sense, it's a great system for the employer and the employee, lots of us would love to use it. (You're not the first genius to come up with that system by the way). The hours banking I believe is actually a win/win for employer and employee if it's voluntary. Overall it's a great way for employers to achieve what they need and help employees achieve what they need.

However- It's F**king illegal. You can't argue that point so stop trying. Educate yourself or stop pretending, whichever one it is.

Now if you posted that with the follow up of, we used to do that, but then I learned to my ignorance that it was against the labor laws and stopped and further said - I'm just posting this so others can learn from my mistake..

Now that would be another story. But that's not what you're doing. Instead you are still trying to defend it from a pont of view of my employees liked it.:rolleyes:

So don't go off on the handyman thing it's not about you being a handyman, you just happen to be one and happen to be somebody that screwed your employees and broke the labor laws and is refusing to admit it.

And those things I can accurately say based on what you have posted. If your post was inaccurate then my response is based on your inaccuracy.

Now ---- ask yourself why do I care?

Because what you did is no different then the douche that uses illegals and has a mile long list to justify it.

That's not a level playing field. All a good business man wants is a level playing field to play on. When you skirt the labor laws you're unleveling the playing field. If a competor of mine does that that means he has an unfair and illegal advantage over me. He can work cheaper then I can only because he's a crook.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't see the problem with these $10-$11 an hour laborer posts.... why would you pay inexperienced laborers more than that? Provide them with the necessary haz-mat suits if needed, whatever... I started at $8/hr in CALI 8 years ago. I was a lead after about 6 months of window installs (not by choice, boss quit and my manager was stupid enough not to find someone else and just put me in charge :laughing:) and was only making $10/hr as the freakin lead window installer. Sad part was I knew more about installing windows already by then than my manager and even than the other crew we had who were paid a lot more than me and were paid by the piece. Any guesses why I quit that job? :laughing:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your system makes perfect sense, it's a great system for the employer and the employee, lots of us would love to use it. (You're not the first genius to come up with that system by the way). The hours banking I believe is actually a win/win for employer and employee if it's voluntary. Overall it's a great way for employers to achieve what they need and help employees achieve what they need.

However- It's F**king illegal. You can't argue that point so stop trying. Educate yourself or stop pretending, whichever one it is.

Now if you posted that with the follow up of, we used to do that, but then I learned to my ignorance that it was against the labor laws and stopped and further said - I'm just posting this so others can learn from my mistake..

Now that would be another story. But that's not what you're doing. Instead you are still trying to defend it from a pont of view of my employees liked it.:rolleyes:
Employees love to get paid under the table as well. You guys should start doing that :laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you are unclear and unsure about comp time, why are you giving advice about it?
I wasn't giving advice, I framed my statement is such a manner that someone with more experience would be enticed to explain it to me. Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess that I tend to look on the positive side of things especially with respect to other people. Looking back on my first post I can see how it could be taken that I was hording due pay to employees. I often am not a man of many words and I should have elaborated on my first statements with a complete description of what went on.

I thought where I said

This may be illegal but everyone loved it.

Back when I had a awning company we would keep a time bank.

Over 40 hours, Extra time was banked at face value.
These records were kept open for everyone to see.

Under 40 hours, Employees could draw on there banked time.
This insured a consistent pay for employees and it was never abused.
Meant that I nor they abused it.

Also when I said

I guess they did not have a problem with it is because O.T. was strictly on a volunteer basis. Shop hours were from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with 1/2 Hr for lunch. If they chose they could adhere strictly to shop hours. But if they were short of there 40 hrs because of a doctors appointment, there child was sick, cable TV man was coming to there home or whatever then they would still receive a weeks pay.

Everyone made use of this option.
Meant just that.

Our correspondence then escalated without another word from me with statements like

And he's a handyman to boot.

Smoke, meet fire.
I wasn't going to bring up the fact that he is doing work that a license is required for, I seriously doubt he has all of the licenses required to do what he posted in his profile.

If he doesn't follow O.T. laws, why would he bother with contractors licenses?

I have multiple state licenses, and I have too much respect for myself to call myself a handyman.
I'm sure the fact that he screwed everyone of his employees over for thousands upon thousands of dollars, broke his states' and the federal fair wage laws and underpaid the IRS and social security, has no bearing on how he operates now, licensed or not. :rolleyes:

I took these as personal attacks toward me. That is why I went off on the handyman thing.

I admit that I knew this was against the letter of the law to protect workers rights. I felt this was harming no workers rights and that it was for everyones benefit. I would not do it again. Laws are made to protect the innocent. They also have side effects that have nothing to do with protecting the innocent. Kind of like the side effects of medicine.

I understand your concern about maintaining a level playing field, I agree. But slanting the field in your direction (without breaking the law) is just good business.

P.S.
Once again, I will never do time banking again.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My god, you kids are worse then the worst in the cellar (P&R section)! Grow up and stick to the friggin' subject at hand!

·
Registered
416 Posts
PLUMBER NEEDED FOR MANY PROJECTS- LICENSED IS A PLUS, BUT NOT REQUIRED

Date: 2009-08-17, 1:33AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I NEED SOMEONE TO DO THE PLUMBING WORK FOR OUR KITCHEN AND BATH REMODELING BUSINESS. MOST WORK WILL INVOLVE RUNNING COPPER / PEX SUPPLY LINES AND PVC DRAINS FOR BTHROOM LAYOUT ALERATIONS. WE ARE A VERY AFORDABLE RENOVATION COMPANY, WHICH MEANS WE GET A LOT OF JOBS BUT DO NOT CHARGE THAT MUCH FOR EACH. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN THE $25-$30 RANGE IF LICENSED AND $15-$20 IF NOT LICENSED. THIS WILL BE SPARATIC WORK, COULD TURN INTO FULL TIME BUT WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH JOBS FOR IT RIGHT NOW. PLEASE REPLY VIA EMAIL. THAKS

• Compensation: see above
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

If I could find a $30 P/H plumber I would be scared that thier "quality work" would explode onto my newly installed $50k cabinet set.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts

I NEED SOMEONE TO DO THE PLUMBING WORK FOR OUR KITCHEN AND BATH REMODELING BUSINESS. MOST WORK WILL INVOLVE RUNNING COPPER / PEX SUPPLY LINES AND PVC DRAINS FOR BTHROOM LAYOUT ALERATIONS. WE ARE A VERY AFORDABLE RENOVATION COMPANY, WHICH MEANS WE GET A LOT OF JOBS BUT DO NOT CHARGE THAT MUCH FOR EACH. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN THE $25-$30 RANGE IF LICENSED AND $15-$20 IF NOT LICENSED. THIS WILL BE SPARATIC WORK, COULD TURN INTO FULL TIME BUT WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH JOBS FOR IT RIGHT NOW. PLEASE REPLY VIA EMAIL. THAKS

• Compensation: see above
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

If I could find a $30 P/H plumber I would be scared that thier "quality work" would explode onto my newly installed $50k cabinet set.
My plumber costs me 75.00 an hour.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
:blink:

:blink::no::laughing: sweet spelling, I is a constrastor and is hired a mester plimber!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

Somebody like this I would like to back my truck right over their head. :rolleyes:

We are very affordable renovation company cause we don't charge that much....

... Translation - we are very affordable cause we do everything illegally.

Jackasses like that piss me off to no end.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts