·
Banned
14,078 Posts

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
And he's a handyman to boot.

Smoke, meet fire.
I wasn't going to bring up the fact that he is doing work that a license is required for, I seriously doubt he has all of the licenses required to do what he posted in his profile.

If he doesn't follow O.T. laws, why would he bother with contractors licenses?

I have multiple state licenses, and I have too much respect for myself to call myself a handyman.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lets see,

Services Offered:
carpentry
custom cabinetry
welding
hvac
masonry

North Carolina law

Carpentry
Up to 30K - no need of a contractor license

Custom cabinetry
Up to 30K - no need of a contractor license

Welding
North Carolina state license is not required for welding.
In North Carolina a license is only required on contracts that specify a certified welder.
Gosh that leaves a big field for non certified welders.

HVAC
My license number is: NC-090-9493
Contractors license is also needed for jobs of 45,000 dollars or more

Masonry
A license is required for projects that are $30,000 or more.
There is no minimum experience requirement.

Well looks like that covers it.

You Know...

I had lots of small job work before this economic slump. Now I also have to compete with contractors who are taking my small jobs away from me. They were always to busy to mess with such small petty jobs. I use to be left alone in my own niche,
Why don't they just stay on there own side of the fence.

Getting along is so much better than bickering.

Love you guys
Richard

·
Hardhead
362 Posts
I read a CL post last week for drywalling a warehouse- 5 bucks a sheet to hang and finish. I'd pay to see this clown thrown in the Inner Harbor!

PS I'm no Handyman...I'm more elbow-y than handy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I kinda figured drywalling and painting should be high paying trades. Lets face it, the work sucks. Isn't painting a method of torture used in Gitmo? If you stuck me in a room and told me I had to paint it until I talked I'd last 30 minutes, at most.

·
Eater of sins.
4,569 Posts
Actually I find that painting can be a very Zen-like experience. Especially if left alone to do the work, just me, the brush, the paint and the wall (interior or exterior). Get a nice mantra going or if feeling exceptionally religious a Gregorian chant with incense.

Ahhh...nothing like it.

Andy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I read a CL post last week for drywalling a warehouse- 5 bucks a sheet to hang and finish. I'd pay to see this clown thrown in the Inner Harbor!

PS I'm no Handyman...I'm more elbow-y than handy.

There is a well known company here that charges $5 per sheet to hang but not to finish. You get what you pay for.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I wasn't going to bring up the fact that he is doing work that a license is required for, I seriously doubt he has all of the licenses required to do what he posted in his profile.

If he doesn't follow O.T. laws, why would he bother with contractors licenses?

I have multiple state licenses, and I have too much respect for myself to call myself a handyman.
I'm sure the fact that he screwed everyone of his employees over for thousands upon thousands of dollars, broke his states' and the federal fair wage laws and underpaid the IRS and social security, has no bearing on how he operates now, licensed or not. :rolleyes:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
do you have a chopsaw and nail gun or do we use mine???i can probabally do both rooms for around $800.00,

....I got to thinking, what is the $/foot rate on the guys installing for $256...

Assuming one door and two windows, rough sizes, it comes out to nearly a dollar a foot...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure the fact that he screwed everyone of his employees over for thousands upon thousands of dollars, broke his states' and the federal fair wage laws and underpaid the IRS and social security, has no bearing on how he operates now, licensed or not. :rolleyes:
Mike
How do you know or come up with such a statement? You have no idea what went on in my business.
Why?
Because you have a deep rooted hatred toward handymen? You and Bwalley are "contractors" and have to much pride to lower your self to handyman status.The ones that often have to come in to fix your mistakes.
You need to kiss a hog under the tail where the sun don’t shine.

There were not thousands upon thousands of dollars cheated from my employees.There time banks averaged from one to a limit of ten hours. This was a carry over running average with one or two hours in one week and one or two hours out the next week.

It was my employees idea as many were working mothers and would have to take as much as a day off on occasion.

Whenever a deadline would come in and the work was needed O.T. was paid @ time and a half.

The government got their due. Full payment for wages and employees got there needs, flexibility. It was a consenting adults kind of thing.

So maybe you should do the hog thing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds to me like what you did is called comp time, which I believe is legal. I am however unclear as to what instances comp time is legal and for what kind of employees.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Sounds to me like what you did is called comp time, which I believe is legal. I am however unclear as to what instances comp time is legal and for what kind of employees.
Comp time is not allowed to be used to get around O.T. laws, if you worked 10 hours of O.T. you are supposed to get 15 hours of Comp time.

what handy guy did was illegal, if one of the lawyers that looks for this kind of scam he pulled finds out, he can be sued and he will lose big time.

If you are unclear and unsure about comp time, why are you giving advice about it?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Mike
How do you know or come up with such a statement? You have no idea what went on in my business.
Why?
Because you have a deep rooted hatred toward handymen? You and Bwalley are "contractors" and have to much pride to lower your self to handyman status.The ones that often have to come in to fix your mistakes.
You need to kiss a hog under the tail where the sun don’t shine.

There were not thousands upon thousands of dollars cheated from my employees.There time banks averaged from one to a limit of ten hours. This was a carry over running average with one or two hours in one week and one or two hours out the next week.

It was my employees idea as many were working mothers and would have to take as much as a day off on occasion.

Whenever a deadline would come in and the work was needed O.T. was paid @ time and a half.

The government got their due. Full payment for wages and employees got there needs, flexibility. It was a consenting adults kind of thing.

So maybe you should do the hog thing.
You are now changing your story about the time bank, but what you did was clearly illegal, if the labor board found out or a labor attorney did, you would have to pay large fines as well as back wages.

Wrong, I have been on a lot of jobs where so called handyman screwed up things and I had to fix them, you will never have to clean up my mess, as I do things right the 1st time.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
....are we really going to start the handyman vs contractor war again....There are hacks out there that are contractors and I have seen really good handymen as well.....:rolleyes:

I will say this, there are some folks on this board that are elitist premadonnas....:rolleyes:

I mean I do punchlist work, doesn't that do almost the same thing as a handyman? i guess I am a hack then:blink:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
HVAC

Love you guys
Richard
Richard,

According to the state of North Carolina, License numbers must be five numeric digits. Examples are 00001, 21234.

Here is the website to look up Contractors licenses in NC
http://www.nclicensing.org/OnlineReg.htm

Looking your up Company name doesn't show any licenses either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Richard,

According to the state of North Carolina, License numbers must be five numeric digits. Examples are 00001, 21234.

Here is the website to look up Contractors licenses in NC
http://www.nclicensing.org/OnlineReg.htm

Looking your up Company name doesn't show any licenses either.
That is because I don't claim to have a contractors license.

I guess I should have said certification number on previous post. my bad

What I have is the North Carolina permit to purchase, charge,evacuate cooling and heating systems.

My certification number to perform such procedures is NC-090-9493

I believe the limit without a contractors license is $45,000 or maybe it is $30,000 either way I am covered.

http://www.nationalcontractors.com/hvac/nchvac.htm

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
That is because I don't claim to have a contractors license.

I guess I should have said certification number on previous post. my bad

What I have is the North Carolina permit to purchase, charge,evacuate cooling and heating systems.

My certification number to perform such procedures is NC-090-9493

I believe the limit without a contractors license is $45,000 or maybe it is $30,000 either way I am covered.

http://www.nationalcontractors.com/hvac/nchvac.htm
You said you had a HVAC license, here is your quote.

Lets see,

Services Offered:
carpentry
custom cabinetry
welding
hvac
masonry

North Carolina law

HVAC

Love you guys
Richard
According to what I have read about HVAC Licensing in North Carolina, if you do any HVAC work, you need a contractors license.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts