Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
B/c I want to see who responds and what type of "contractor" CL has to offer.

I got 16 replys.... isn't this the lowest wages on CL post?

I’m a subcontractor who has an experience carpenter with 20 plus years of experience who will do the job to your liking. I will charge $256 for the two rooms, this is labor only.

Hi My name is Bill and I sgould be able to the job for a $900. I would like to ask if you could pay for some materials though

I can do the Crown and the base for $520 and $25 for each door( you didn't mention how many.

I can do this job for $400.00 I have 18 years experience in custom millwork and currently am a lead carpenter at a kitchen and bath company

I would have to see it to give an accurate quote but "Tree Fiddy" a foot would be my sight unseen estimate. (HUMMM SOUNDS FAMILAR)

Hello, my name is alex. I am in the construction field so I am experienced with molding. I will be able to do the job for $300. That will cover all labor work. The only thing you have to buy is the molding and casing, I will provide nails and caulk.

Two rooms, base, window/door casing and crown...sight unseen...I will bid at $800.00. Miters/scarfs, will be glued, and all inside corners will be coped.

This does not include any putty work or primer/paint applications.

Thats just not right. Whats your end game? Spend hours shootin down work hungry men? I think that the posting ads on CL are the problem, not always the people trying to find work.
I can see your point, but I have talked to too many people who hired off CL and they always get hacks, granted it is their fault for hiring them. I kept my add simple as to not waste anyone's time. I will tell you one thing tho, I did learn a little bit about how low people will go wage wise now on CL.... I know I wouldn't install the trim for $256...

I do feel for the guys that are going hungry, but I will be honest, business is business....you makes it or you don't, and if your not in the business then you shouldn't be doing the work. Who knows, maybe I will be out of business in a year or two or three.... I only saw one or two guys on there that said they were registered with the state of NJ. They came close but still failed by state standards. you MUST, post your Reg # in any ad, estimate, contract etc etc.... IMO, and some might think I am a jerk for this, but none of these guys should have even been responding....I won't leave the ad up any longer, I just wanted to "get a feel" for what the homeowners and clients see.

EDIT: Okay, so I can't delete it...so if you guys would, click on the link and flag it for spam....CL should get rid of it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think you can delete from the email they send you. It has the option to edit or delete if I am not mistaken.

"tree fiddy" was me I could not resist.

has a simple "what would your bid be" project been done here before? Just looking at the high/low in the bids you have received has got me wondering what would MY price be

Assumes there is no existing base or casing, 2 3' doorways- one trimmed both sides one trimmed single side.
Finger joint pine colonial base molding
9/16" x 5-1/4", Installation
98.00 [email protected] 5.586 LF 287.04 228.34 0.00 515.38
Finger joint pine colonial casing
11/16" x 2-1/4", Installation
54.00 [email protected] 2.322 LF 74.17 95.04 0.00 169.21

Subtotal: 1,159.55
30.00% O&P: 347.8
Estimate Total: 1,507.42

·
Registered
49 Posts
You may or may not like Craigs List but I would think that the professionals on this site would have better things to do than post fake ads to make fun of people who are most likely simply trying to feed thenselves and thrir families.

I suggest that if you feel like screwing around with someone you contact the people posting the low pay ads. Maybe someone should come up with a well written ad/response like the one posted earlier and everyone start posting them on CLs all over the country.

On a related note I am already starting to see responses being posted to some of these ads so it might be time for a organized movement.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Where is the harm in this? Maybe its just me but I would rather spend 10 minutes at the computer to figure a job that will never happen rather than go to an appointment, measure, sell myself, drive home.

How many times have you pre-qualified a lead and still wasted your time and gas money on customers who are not "real."

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
SALARY – FULL TIME- MUST HAVE TRUCK & TRAILER

CONSTRUCTION COMPANY ADDING STAFF. WE HAVE FOUR POSITIONS CURRENTLY OPEN IMMEDIATELY. MUST HAVE:

• TRUCK AND TRAILER
o RELIABLE- BRING TO INTERVIEW
• BASIC TOOLS INCLUDING
o LANDSCAPE TOOLS
o GENERATOR
o LAPTOP COMPUTER A HUGE BENEFIT BUT NOT REQUIRED

IDEAL CANDIDATE MUST BE ABLE TO:

• PASS DRUG TEST
• PASS BACKGROUND TEST
• ILLUSTRATE PROOF OF AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE
• WORK LONG HOURS -5.5 DAYS PER WEEK
• WORK LONG DAYS 5:30 AM TO 5:30 PM

700 PER WEEK TO START. RAISE TO 750 PER WEEK AFTER 90 DAYS. IF YOU HAVE A BUSINESS LICENSE THIS CAN BE A 1099 POSITION. SEND RESUME TO [email protected]. PLEASE INDICATE “SERVICE” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR RESPONSE OR YOU WILL NOT BE CONTACTED.

• Compensation: 700 PER WEEK TO SART
So at 700 a week doing the math that comes to just under 10.00 an hour, and you use your own truck, trailer and tools....and then get a 1099.
Fantastic :furious:

Might want to scrape up for a new calculator, 40hrs/$700=$17.50phr

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Might want to scrape up for a new calculator, 40hrs/$700=$17.50phr

Let me guess, you didn't get an A in math,.:no:

:whistling

:laughing:

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Me? I will play,

Us labor law stated that a work week consist of 40 hours. The ability to work more hours that that may be expected but base weekly compensation are still required to be based of 40 hour weeks. And even if it was expected that you work 5:30-5:30 5.5 days a week that works out to 65 hours, 30 min lunch unpaid, us federal law minimum, - 3hrs, 62hrs/$700 per week, 11.29phr, if an employer actually tried to enforce that work schedule, even to a 1099 subcontractor the labor board would fine the hell out of the employer for wrongful advertising, and multiple labor law violations.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
You may or may not like Craigs List but I would think that the professionals on this site would have better things to do than post fake ads to make fun of people who are most likely simply trying to feed thenselves and thrir families.

I suggest that if you feel like screwing around with someone you contact the people posting the low pay ads. Maybe someone should come up with a well written ad/response like the one posted earlier and everyone start posting them on CLs all over the country.

On a related note I am already starting to see responses being posted to some of these ads so it might be time for a organized movement.

Its only one ad and it's not like I make a habbit out of this. Any who....

HSConstruction: You wouldn't happen to be the guys on 31 North in Hampton, NJ would you? But with the equipment I see hanging around that place I don't think their major gig is remodelings.....

I got no way to shut this thing down.....well for those who hate me, I now have the problem of my inbox being bombarded with responses....

here is a high one....

I am a remodeling contractor. Specializing in residential remodeling in NEW JERSEY&NEW YORK. With more than 10 years of experience in residential construction, I make homes more beautiful and livable – delivering reliable, quality work to ensure a positive home improvements experience for my clients.This is a ruff basic estimate,Give or take. Our price would be between $2000.00 and $2600.00. I rather look at the job. For the price could be a lot cheaper if I new what I was getting in to.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Me? I will play,

Us labor law stated that a work week consist of 40 hours. The ability to work more hours that that may be expected but base weekly compensation are still required to be based of 40 hour weeks. And even if it was expected that you work 5:30-5:30 5.5 days a week that works out to 65 hours, 30 min lunch unpaid, us federal law minimum, - 3hrs, 62hrs/$700 per week, 11.29phr, if an employer actually tried to enforce that work schedule, even to a 1099 subcontractor the labor board would fine the hell out of the employer for wrongful advertising, and multiple labor law violations.

As long as the guy is paid minimum wage and overtime for anything over 40 hours per week, the employer would be fine.

Federal Minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, not sure what state this ad is in as some states have a higher minimum wage and some counties like Broward County have even a higher wage than the state minimum, but we will go with the Federal minimum wage here.

40 hours x $7.25= $290

anything over 40 hours in a week is at time and a half which would be $10.87

22 hours x $10.87 = $239.14

At 62 hours per week, by federal law (based on minmum wage) the pay would be $529.14, so at $700 per week, the employer would be paying more than minimum wage, so it appears even though the guy doing the hiring is a cheap bastard, he is following the law.

This guy cannot claim the worker as a subcontractor because he is dictating the work schedule and he is being paid by the hour, he is not a subcontractor, he is an employee.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This may be illegal but everyone loved it.

Back when I had a awning company we would keep a time bank.

Over 40 hours, Extra time was banked at face value.
These records were kept open for everyone to see.

Under 40 hours, Employees could draw on there banked time.
This insured a consistent pay for employees and it was never abused.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I need someone to pour a few concrete piers - $100 (Killearn)

Date: 2009-08-15, 8:19AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected]

I need someone to mix and pour six small piers in the ground to support posts for a shed roof. Approx. 12x12 inches each by about a foot and a half deep.

Come do it today!

I need a deck builder - small project - $200 (Killearn)

Date: 2009-08-04, 12:41PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected]

I will provide the materials, all I need is an 8x8 deck framed. No railing, steps or anything, just a simple flat deck. It will rest on precast concrete pillars. A little bit of digging required to level the ground, but not much. I need someone who can do it fast, cheap, and correct.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
This may be illegal but everyone loved it.

Back when I had a awning company we would keep a time bank.

Over 40 hours, Extra time was banked at face value.
These records were kept open for everyone to see.

Under 40 hours, Employees could draw on there banked time.
This insured a consistent pay for employees and it was never abused.
Why would people like getting screwed out of 50% pay???

You abused your employee's by not paying the required overtime.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess they did not have a problem with it is because O.T. was strictly on a volunteer basis. Shop hours were from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with 1/2 Hr for lunch. If they chose they could adhere strictly to shop hours. But if they were short of there 40 hrs because of a doctors appointment, there child was sick, cable TV man was coming to there home or whatever then they would still receive a weeks pay.

Everyone made use of this option.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I guess they did not have a problem with it is because O.T. was strictly on a volunteer basis. Shop hours were from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with 1/2 Hr for lunch. If they chose they could adhere strictly to shop hours. But if they were short of there 40 hrs because of a doctors appointment, there child was sick, cable TV man was coming to there home or whatever then they would still receive a weeks pay.

Except the labor board. :whistling

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I was looking for someone to sub some flooring to and sent a couple messages to the most professional looking CL ads to see what kind of responses I would get.

Here's the best one:

-------------------------

Hi,,, Ryan I give you 175 per sq ft. four laminate Install and four the trim its defend the tetchiness you want?
don't hesitate to call me in my phone anytime at 604 773XXXX my mane is( BERT)
------------------------------

I actually got a good response from one guy and he sent me links to his online albums of past jobs. I may have him do some work in the very near future.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts

I hope these guys don't find out what you were doing.

http://employment.lawyercentral.com/North-Carolina-Overtime-lawyers--4-NC-111.html

21 - 40 of 115 Posts