Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I love it, wondering now if I should check into it in my state, they might owe me money!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
A large company like that with a legal team should have known it was coming after being discovered as hacks. The legal team and CPA's will likely claim the Nuremburg Defense as the excuse.;)

I'm glad this was discovered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
using them to install garage doors from 1995 to 2009

overtime pay; vacation, holiday, or sick pay; and health care and other insurances that were part of Lowe’s benefits.

maximum payment anyone can get in the settlement is roughly $1,613

$1,613? That's it?

I wonder how much 14 years of health care alone would have totaled to? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
They ain't stupid. They know that paying a fine will always be vastly cheaper than doing the right thing. I don't feel sorry for the guys working for them though. Never have seen one yet do a good job. They like to think they do but that's about as close to it as they get. Some of the worst quality work I ever seen was done by lowes contractors.

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Where's the IRS is all of this?
Waiting in the wings, they will be next, along with the state tax division.
They will negotiate a settlement and pay quickly.

Many large companies used to do this until the IRS specifically wrote instructions on classification of employees.

At one time AT&T classified 30-40% of their employees as subcontractors.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I installed for over a year, I was the #1 rated installer in the region for that year and never heard a thing from Lowes about it! The local installed sales told me about it but nothing more than that! WTF? I was constantly fixing other installers problems, CONSTANTLY!

I remember a pretty good size fence vinyl fence install. The fence was put up by a Lowes installer, within a week a large thunderstorm came through and literally blew 1 whole side of the fence down. I got it as a insurance fix for the home owner, Lowes could not do the install because it was an insurance repair, not sure why but whatever. The previous installed had in the bid nearly 100 bags of concrete for the vinyl posts, we demo'd the old fence and saved most of the panels and posts.

Here's the kicker, we didn't find more than 10 bags worth of concrete in the whole job! There was maybe a bit more than a bag worth at the corner posts but none on the others! I had bid the demo as a bear because I thought concrete would be everywhere and would have to put in new post holes instead of fighting concrete, nope, was able to use the same post holes. The corners were so light in concrete that we easily dug it out. Demo was easy, seriously easy.

So I call the store manager and installed sales to come to look at it, installer needs fired, this wasn't first problem I've had with this installer. I was told too just put up new fence and NOT to tell home owner, because then they would have to pay for it, improper install in the beginning. It went against everything I know.

My guys did a great job, we installed it the right was and it's been over 4 years now and still looks perfect. Brought my mixer and a bunch of concrete to make sure it's done correct. I talk to installed sales later about the installer and asked what happened, nothing! He stole those bags from the customer, let alone the horrible install! Lowes has no idea what happened to 100 bags of concrete and doesn't care.

That was the beginning of the end for me...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
using them to install garage doors from 1995 to 2009

overtime pay; vacation, holiday, or sick pay; and health care and other insurances that were part of Lowe’s benefits.

maximum payment anyone can get in the settlement is roughly $1,613

$1,613? That's it?

I wonder how much 14 years of health care alone would have totaled to? :rolleyes:
Not health care, but WC

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,334 Posts
Healthcare, workmans comp, overtime, travel expenses, taking care of the uniform, vacation and sick time, benefits that might have been offered.

$1600? That's an insult to 90% of them.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imagine even the installers that completely sucked and got dumped over the years are entitled to a piece of the pie.
The guys who are there day in and day out, they get pretty much the same amount.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
A bit over a $100/yr?? Yeah, Blowes got off easy.

My old partner and I did door and window installs for HD in the mid 90's. Did it for a couple of years and got tired of the headaches. The money wasn't too bad, but the 'Installed Sales Team' (joke) couldn't get their chit together. We did a LOT of storm doors in all the subdivisions that sprang up everywhere. Was getting $85/ea (plus delivery charge) and most installs were 3 doors per home. With 2 guys, in 2 trucks, we did 4-6 homes a day. That was the easy money, everything else was a fuster cluck. Windows were a nightmare if WE didn't measure them. They would have the HO measure the window (to save them a $45 estimate fee - GOOD idea right there :laughing:) and we could never get the idiots at HD to understand that a 2-8 x 4-6 window isn't 28" x 46" :no:. "Our installers are great, they'll make it fit". Umm...NO, we WONT :censored:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Where's the IRS is all of this?
Waiting for a list of claimants to provide their corp tax id number or social security number so when you receive your 1,600.00 odd dollars, the IRS audit results will ask you to give them that check along with another check for 3,700.00 for the back taxes owed from your negligence in filing a series of incorrect tax returns, resulting in you getting fined and penalized for being either; dumb, dishonest or both. :laughing:

Man, that's a long azz sentence. :whistling

·
Registered
555 Posts
$1,613? That's it?

The lawyers got the other 99%. Just like everything else, no one will see chit til the lawyers or government gets there's first. Lowes is out some, lawyer is in the money and the person/people it was all about or trying to protect are left with the crums.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Watched Nightly Business Report tonight and they mention Lowes.
I thought, "Here we go, some kind of downgrade for this and RRP"

Nope. Lowes will be upping their dividend payment to share holders. Also Lowes has never missed a dividend payment since they went public in 1961.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts