Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local Blowes to pick up three sheets of Densarmor (not sure on the spelling) They do not carry it anymore:eek: Then why is it we as Trades people are told this is the Best product to use in damp and wet areas,
but you have no supplier that sells it, when it first hit the market Blowes was going to carry it, well now that they don't sell that many sheets they have discontinued it and are now selling greenboard:w00t: I wonder who the braindead person who makes these choices:whistling I thought it was all about Green Building:laughing::thumbup:
Really it's all about the Bottom Line anymore.:censored:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
They'd rather carry foo foo crap then what's needed to build and maintain a home.

I once went in on a saturday to grab something and OMFG it was just like wal-mart

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Generally for larger construction projects, I'll deal with the local lumber and millwork distributor. However, for home projects or small jobs that I can't get everything I need with one stop at the L/M supplier, the big box will get my business as a matter of convenience. I'd prefer to deal with locally owned businesses, but if it's going to cost me half a day and half a tank of feul to get what I can in 30 minutes with one stop, I have no choice but the obvious. After all, everybody in business is driven by profit whether it be by volume sales or efficient business practices.

Reactions: NNY and dkillianjr

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
I went to the local Blowes to pick up three sheets of Densarmor (not sure on the spelling) They do not carry it anymore Then why is it we as Trades people are told this is the Best product to use in damp and wet areas, but you have no supplier that sells it, when it first hit the market Blowes was going to carry it, well now that they don't sell that many sheets they have discontinued it.
Not sure if they're in your area but Menards carries it.

Problem I have is getting DensArmor Cote. I used to get that at Lowes but now it's gone and Menards does not carry it.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I went to the local Blowes to pick up three sheets of Densarmor (not sure on the spelling) They do not carry it anymore:eek: Then why is it we as Trades people are told this is the Best product to use in damp and wet areas,
but you have no supplier that sells it, when it first hit the market Blowes was going to carry it, well now that they don't sell that many sheets they have discontinued it and are now selling greenboard:w00t: I wonder who the braindead person who makes these choices:whistling I thought it was all about Green Building:laughing::thumbup:
The choices are made based upon who is buying what. When you start buying more DensArmour then Harry the Homeowner is buying drywall and installing it in his shower and then tileing it with premixed mastic, then they will carry it.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Not sure if they're in your area but Menards carries it.

Problem I have is getting DensArmor Cote. I used to get that at Lowes but now it's gone and Menards does not carry it.
When I don't go to V-Line,
I just use DuraBond.

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
When I don't go to V-Line,
I just use DuraBond.
No Homes Acres around me :mad:

We do use Durabond for the first coat. My drywall guy doesn't like it for finish coats. I still have 1 60lbs bucket of DA Cote left. Shouldn't be a problem for a little while anyway.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
When you start buying more DensArmour then Harry the Homeowner is buying drywall and installing it in his shower and then tileing it with premixed mastic, then they will carry it.
Is that bad, using drywall and tiling over it in a shower? :laughing:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
There should be a supply house in your area that carry's it, Lowes and HD cater to HO's and handymen, you can't expect them to carry all the products that real contractors use.

They should have XP (barney board), that is the replacement for MR (green board), while Densarmor is better in most application, XP (barney board) is a good product as well.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
None of my local suppliers carry it either
Blowes stopped selling it because people thought it was to hard to finish / didn't sell enough & replaced it with some lightweight purple crap now.
Any of the major building supply houses should carry DensArmor in stock, I wouldn't consider Lowes or HD to be a supplier.

XP (Barney Board) is purple, but it is not lightweight crap, it is the replacement for MR (Green Board) in many cases XP will be just fine instead of using DensArmor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is too bad ! I used it myself for a few Baths that I had done & I thought it was far superior to other stuff like the purple board that my Local lumberyard sells. That just seems like the greenboard they used to sell. Densarmour is made with fiberglass particles & not paper making it more water resistant than others. I'm done doing baths, but I'd like to find out who sells it here to direct people to it............

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
This is too bad ! I used it myself for a few Baths that I had done & I thought it was far superior to other stuff like the purple board that my Local lumberyard sells. That just seems like the greenboard they used to sell. Densarmour is made with fiberglass particles & not paper making it more water resistant than others. I'm done doing baths, but I'd like to find out who sells it here to direct people to it............
I use XP (barney board) in damp locations but never behind tile unless it is a backsplash in a kitchen.

I always use a cementious backer board like Durock behind tile in wet locations like showers and bathtubs.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,716 Posts
So much for press releases,
my "V-Line" bookmark just took me
to the Home Acres web site. :blink:
I drove by the V-line on 71st a couple weeks ago and it looked shut down. FOR LEASE, out front and the yard was empty.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I have to do the phone calls, I will give all the suppliers a call to see who carrys it. I guess when it come to the box stores I will only use them for every day items, From now on I guess I'll have to use the one supplier that carrys mason and drywall products and drive pass the Blowes and Cheapo's
I know it's gonna cost more in price and gas now, just what I didn't need more costs while the Low Ballers come in with Blowes and Cheapo products:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts