Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Consideration of obtaining low-voltage license through Florida to operate throughout Central Florida. Would appreciate the following information:

Is there plenty of work for low-voltage contractors available in the Central Florida areas (or is the area saturated by current contractors)?

Has the economy affected commercial and residential construction projects to the degree its being "felt" in the profit lines of low-voltage contractors?

For the work that is available...what industry is providing the highest number of jobs/ higher profit: Construction - residential or commercial? Security?

The cost is pricey for the license. It will be done, though, if it means that the investment can be profited back in a reasonable time frame. Needed to know where to focus the efforts.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I don't know Florida at all, but her in Albuquerque residential, you can split low voltage into 2 groups, one being security/alarms and the other the rest.

Security/Alarm companies make their money of the monitoring service. There is almost no money in the rough-in and only a little in the trim. If you aren't doing the monitoring, you can sub work from a company that does and earn wages.

The rest, coax and communication (cat 5e) is done by the electrical contractor. You could try subbing to an EC but most are scrambling just to find a little work for their own guys.

There are a few guys who sell "smart" home wiring. They seem to install 10X as much cable as could possibly be used. Only a few customers actually buy that stuff, the market is over-saturated with providers.

Commercial is a different deal completely.

Reactions: DBaird

·
Commercial Contractor
5 Posts
Commercial Contractor

DBaird, I being specifically a contractor for better than 20 years can say we are feeling the pinch. I would not say we are saturated but I would say say contractors are falling away due to the lack of work here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts