Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer had a leak in her dormer (so she says) that we re-roofed 4 years earlier, there was never any mention of any roof issues to us. However after the Severe NE Ice storm she had her roof re-done in MArch 2009. Small dormer (approx 80SF) she paid a roof company $2100 to do the job, which we feel is fabricated.

We have a court date due to the customers nonpayment for extra electrical work performed 4 years ago and she is now counter sueing for roof damage etc.

Has anyone gone through this and what was your outcome? The customer NEVER notified us of any damages until we sued for unpaid balance. (Please keep in mind this job was done 4 years ago and the customer was very happy with the job.)

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You petition ( motion ) for 'Discovery'. This will allow you to obtain all the pertainant information she has.
Over the years I have engaged some in court (small claims ) for various reasons, including non paying customers..
In an effort to keep costs down and use the moment as learning experiences, I have done court related things on my own.
Win some and you lose some.
I dont believe anyone will be able to help other then disagree or agree with your position or instruct you to get a attorney. Facts and events vary from case to case

I sorry I cannot help more.

( forgive spelling errors )

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Well two things come to my mind while I am still trying to wear off the affects of last night. :party:

1. How long is your labor warranty?

2. In your state, is it the law that you have the right to cure before anyone else can be hired?

We had one unfortunate situation (where I think the customer was trying to extort money from us) that the homeowner had a "leak" around a chimney. They hired someone else, without our knowledge of the problem to the amount of some $1,800.00. We refused to pay. When it went to court, she was unable to provide proof that she did inform of us of the problem and that we waived our right to fix it. I am sure any reasonably judge will have no other option other than to throw the case out if she is unable to provide any proof of the leak or that you denied a chance to fix it.

Our case was dismissed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
A customer had a leak in her dormer (so she says) that we re-roofed 4 years earlier, there was never any mention of any roof issues to us. However after the Severe NE Ice storm she had her roof re-done in MArch 2009. Small dormer (approx 80SF) she paid a roof company $2100 to do the job, which we feel is fabricated.

We have a court date due to the customers nonpayment for extra electrical work performed 4 years ago and she is now counter sueing for roof damage etc.

Has anyone gone through this and what was your outcome? The customer NEVER notified us of any damages until we sued for unpaid balance. (Please keep in mind this job was done 4 years ago and the customer was very happy with the job.)

Thank you for any input!

One thing to remember, everything said here can be Googled, so be carefull!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
All I can say is call a lawyer. From what you say, you'll likely win, but there are two sides to every story. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, even if you win, then you have to collect. That'lll be fun trying to collect from a dead beat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If what you say is correct, and she cannot prove that she tried to contact you to repair the leak and correct the problem you should be fine. Why did you wait four years to collect on the electrical? Seems like a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts