Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
not2late
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a prototype of a low budget Murphy bed. Its going into an apartment complex that is made up of mostly studio units. New owners of the complex wanted a lower cost bed with minimal trim.

They wanted a seating area/couch. The top hinges up to allow for a huge storage area. The shelf doubles as the leg and has 2 handholes cut in to raise and lower the bed. Shelf ends need a little more work, weight balance isn't quite right as I want it to stay flat at all times.

Searching the internet a bunch of different ideas were incorporated into this queen size bed. Realizing that almost all the kits are $300 plus even with multiple order discounts I went to the McMaster catalog and ordered two gas struts, rod ends and mounting brackets. With freight $55.

I worked out strut mounting positions in AutoCad and, holy crap, it worked first time. Easy and light to lower and almost no strength needed to raise it. To simulate the mattress weigh I cut down a full sheet of 3/4 MDF and clamped all the pieces to the frame. The bed pivots on 4 door hinges.

They will paint on site. Couch cushions will be supplied by others. Comes apart quickly and simply screws to the wall studs. Hopefully about a 30 minute install. Mostly 3/4" ply, bed bottom is 1/2" baltic birch.

Going to refine it a little more to help with the assembly time. I'll post some more pictures after its installed and painted.

Attachments

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Does it raise and lower on metal coil springs or air springs (like you find on hatchbacks)?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Really nice idea! I love trying to design efficient stuff like that, but it always seems to take me a few test runs to get anything decent put together. Looking forward to seeing a finished piece.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice job, I've always liked Murphy's beds and I like your simple, clean design.

+1 on the plans I've been wanting to design something like that for my own house but so far haven't found the time. My family has grown faster than my house. :)

Just having specs on the strut and placement would be nice, if it's not proprietary information.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Very nice and very ingenious the swinging shelf idea. Wife and I were just talking about a bed like that, but I thought of just a fixed shelves for the base and just empty them when someone needed the bed. Ran steel sleeves to prevent wear?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
like it! the swinging shelf thing is a bit intriguing though. Im just trying to figure out what could go up there without falling down. Maybe just box it slightly to put pillows and sheets. This way when the murphy bed is put down, the pillows and sheets are right there for access, plus the top will have a relatively consistent weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts