Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a sewer pump.
As soon as the water gets sucked out of the basin . It makes a very loud noise. It sounds like it is in the drain pipe. It goes boom-bang real loud.

The pipes are secured very well and are not moving at all. I have a studavent on the sewer basin. And a studivent at the washer and laundry sink.
Any thougths on what would cause this?
Here is a short video of the install. You can use your pause button because it goes fast.ly

I had to wait untill I got to 15 post before the forum would allow me to link to this video.
Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar78laCWN2M&feature=channel_page

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I dont know if i am any help here as i know little about plumbing but i beleive you need a designated vent for a septic pump/grinder. My guess is that your system is not venting properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had heard you must vent through the roof to the sewer pump basin.
Since I don't have a toiliet, I just used a studvent. I would think it could still suck air.

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
The loud noise "CLOP" is probably the check valve closing when the pump shuts off. Probably is normal -- I asume you have a check in there that is made for an ejector pump. As to Studor Venting -- No good for a tank vent, you must vent to atmoshere. Reason when that tank is partially full of water. The rest of the container is air. You will not be able to drain more volume into the tank with out relieving the air in the tank. Studor Vents only draw air into the piping system. They will not vent air out.

Bill Parr LMP 205 Allentown, PA

·
Registered
3 Posts
davew

I have a similar situation.
I installed a check valve on my sump pump - 1-1/2" diameter pvc glue joint, also a check valve on the ejector pump - 2" diameter threaded.
The 1-1/2" check valve is very quiet, but the 2" check valve really bangs.

Is there a way to quiet down the 2" valve ?

Thanks!
davew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts