Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly I'm a carpenter, but I installed a new drain system for a client for a small bathroom - new ABS pipe for everything 3" for toilet; 2" for shower; and 1 1/2" for sink. Each has it's own seperate vent. The shower is driving my client a bit crazy because the drain really does make a lot of noise. Even with the fan running the drain sound is by far the loudest noise - louder than the water and fan combined. There's nothing special about the drain system the direct feed into the P-Trap is about a foot long. The vent comes in about 6" beyond the P-Trap on the horizontal line. It's rotated about 45 degrees up above the horizontal. The horizontal run is about 5' to a drop into the 3" main drain line. All shower lines are new 2" ABS.

Is there anyway to dampen that gurgling echo? Or will only time and the accumulation of a bit of junk in the pipes mute the sounds.

thanks, balanceact

·
Registered
295 Posts
balanceact said:
Mostly I'm a carpenter, but I installed a new drain system for a client for a small bathroom - new ABS pipe for everything 3" for toilet; 2" for shower; and 1 1/2" for sink. Each has it's own seperate vent. The shower is driving my client a bit crazy because the drain really does make a lot of noise. Even with the fan running the drain sound is by far the loudest noise - louder than the water and fan combined. There's nothing special about the drain system the direct feed into the P-Trap is about a foot long. The vent comes in about 6" beyond the P-Trap on the horizontal line. It's rotated about 45 degrees up above the horizontal. The horizontal run is about 5' to a drop into the 3" main drain line. All shower lines are new 2" ABS.

Is there anyway to dampen that gurgling echo? Or will only time and the accumulation of a bit of junk in the pipes mute the sounds.

thanks, balanceact

Normally, when there is a gurgling sound there is a partial blockage somewhere down line. Did you tie into existing (old) drain? The main may have to be snaked. But, it definately does'nt sound like it has anything to do with you're new piping.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Plumbs got this one, yea check to see if there is any obstructions.
If not could you send us a diagram of what exactly you did?

BJD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plumguy said:
Normally, when there is a gurgling sound there is a partial blockage somewhere down line. Did you tie into existing (old) drain? The main may have to be snaked. But, it definately does'nt sound like it has anything to do with you're new piping.
Plumbguy (and Bjd)

Thanks for your suggestion. All of this small bathroom lines are new. The
1 1/2" vanity and the 2" shower line tie into the 3" toilet drain at the same joint on opposite sides. About a foot further down, the 3" ties into the main 4" just as it exits the building and goes under ground, so in essence it is hard to imagine any obstruction creating the loudness of the pipes. Perhaps gurgling was the wrong wording. It is just constantly loud. The only thing that changed it was when my client started soaping up. The soap made the sounds lessen dramatically.

I talked to a reputable plumbing supply, Barrons in Mt. View, Ca., before you responded and they suggested that this noise is common in new ABS pipes and doesn't occur with cast iron. Short of changing it out, they suggested I wrap the new shower pipes. This I did, with two kinds of foam wraps that I could get, especially the down line from the bottom of the marble pan around the P-trap and the joint for the vent. And this cut out about 30% of the loudness.

balanceact

·
Registered
295 Posts
balanceact said:
Plumbguy (and Bjd)

Thanks for your suggestion. All of this small bathroom lines are new. The
1 1/2" vanity and the 2" shower line tie into the 3" toilet drain at the same joint on opposite sides. About a foot further down, the 3" ties into the main 4" just as it exits the building and goes under ground, so in essence it is hard to imagine any obstruction creating the loudness of the pipes. Perhaps gurgling was the wrong wording. It is just constantly loud. The only thing that changed it was when my client started soaping up. The soap made the sounds lessen dramatically.

I talked to a reputable plumbing supply, Barrons in Mt. View, Ca., before you responded and they suggested that this noise is common in new ABS pipes and doesn't occur with cast iron. Short of changing it out, they suggested I wrap the new shower pipes. This I did, with two kinds of foam wraps that I could get, especially the down line from the bottom of the marble pan around the P-trap and the joint for the vent. And this cut out about 30% of the loudness.

balanceact

With the installation of pvc or abs you are going to hear water running thru the pipes, especially in the room below the bath. In you're more expensive homes (mil +) it is not uncommon for the main stack to be installed in cast iron to keep the noise to a minimum. While entertaining or dining, listening to a toilet flush and drain is not the most desirable sound and is one of the downfalls of plastic pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts