Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a furnace service with the loud bang noise.the customer said it happends one or twice a month. I couldn't find what causes this proplem.Please help me if you have this experience.Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
helpme said:
I have a furnace service with the loud bang noise.the customer said it happends one or twice a month. I couldn't find what causes this proplem.Please help me if you have this experience.Thank you.
Where they are when they hear the noise can be helpful in determining what is "actually" causing the noise.

For instance, if they hear the noise in every room in the home equally... chances are that it is the ductwork itself popping.

However, if they hear the noise down near the furnace only... they could be hearing delayed ignition or even a blower engaging (if old belt-drive).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mechanical Mind, Please read the advertising policy, I believe that you are selling software on that site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Mechanical Mind, Please read the advertising policy, I believe that you are selling software on that site.
No Sir. I am not selling anything. That is just my homepage. Another place that I hang out. And I didn't put it in link format. Just text.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bang furnace

helpme said:
Check the burner orifices very carefully- spiders like to build nest and plugs burner where it comes out of the maifold- flame on that burner may look alot lower than the others and if this is the burner that is nearest the spark or hot surface ignitor [or standing pilot] the gas will build up in the other chambers before this burner lights- then you have what amounts to a small explosion. Clean this burner orifice out with a thin wire

Cheers
JSA

·
Registered
364 Posts
This used to happen from time to time at my father's house. The heater was in the laundry room which was where the dogs slept.

Every once in a while there would be an explosion like sound from the heater.. you know what is coming right?

Nobody knew what it was, always happened without ryme or reason and only when the heater came on...

Turns out that the little bits of doghair and dust would settle into the heater and somehow plug up the works just a tad. The 'explosions' would produce 1.5 feet of flame for just an instant.

Cleaning the heater well, and being more consistent about cleaning the floor in the laundry room solved the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts