Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently launched a new site and we are struggling with getting people fill out info?

Any ideas on what we are doing wrong ? comments suggestions?

the site address is empirecontractor .com

I cant post a link as Im a new user so you'll have to fill in the rest.

Really appreciate your initial feedback.

Thanks

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Beautiful website, has it all. Only thing I can say is make the contact form super simple, ask only basic contact info. I need to "copy" some of your written content. Not really copy, I mean you guys hit all the buttons for some things. For you I think its only a matter of time for conversions.
Good writing!:thumbsup:

Went back to your site, too much contact info needed. Just get the name, phone, email, street address, and type of remodel. Then call and qualify for the other stuff. The contact page is intimidating.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It took me a good five minutes to notice that the blue graphic at the top was a button and that is because I was looking for the 'sign up' form you mentioned.

I doubt if very many people would have notice it as a button.

1) I would move the search box and put it where the phone number is currently.

2) Make a large graphic of the phone number and place it where the blue button is currently

3) Change the blue graphic to just look like a simple large 3D button and place it where the search box it currently. Label it 'FREE Consultation' etc.

The location of the phone number and blue button could be swapped.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have Firefox 3.0.8 and the form is fine for me.

Consider having two forms 1) a quick contact form and 2) a free consultation form.

The free consultation form could have unlimited number of parameters, places to attach pictures, files, budgets, etc. etc. Have 50 parameters if you want.

That way you could get as much information as you need to judge whether it is worth visiting or if you can give them an estimate over the phone.

And the customer is more likely to submit a request if they can do so semi-anonymously, without feeling obliged/pressured.

·
Registered
992 Posts
We recently launched a new site and we are struggling with getting people fill out info?

Any ideas on what we are doing wrong ? comments suggestions?

the site address is empirecontractor .com

I cant post a link as Im a new user so you'll have to fill in the rest.

Really appreciate your initial feedback.

Thanks

When you say lots of clicks and page views how many?

Whats your bounce rate?

How long does the average person stay on your site?

·
Certified Crazy!
404 Posts
It took me a good five minutes to notice that the blue graphic at the top was a button and that is because I was looking for the 'sign up' form you mentioned.

I doubt if very many people would have notice it as a button.

1) I would move the search box and put it where the phone number is currently.

2) Make a large graphic of the phone number and place it where the blue button is currently

3) Change the blue graphic to just look like a simple large 3D button and place it where the search box it currently. Label it 'FREE Consultation' etc.

The location of the phone number and blue button could be swapped.

It took me a long time as well to realize that the graphic at the top right was the clicky to get to your contact form.

After a few years of testing I have found that the further into your site a person must navigate to fill out a contact form the less likely they will actually fill it out.

My contract form is right on my front page and only requires name and email address.

The graphic on your site looks cool but the text on the right side bar is too small so I did not bother to read it.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I disagree about the complexity of a contact form.

But I'm different. I want QUALIFIED contacts. For instance the old home show routine of getting a 1000 people to fill out a contest entry for a free vacation versus getting 10 solid appointments from people at the show who want your service. I'll take the later everytime.

If people want your service they will fill out 10 lines on a contact form. If they won't fill it out they are the free vacation contest people anyways.

In sales I've always been the other way, I make a customer show me they want to buy from me, not the other way around where you chase them and beg them to buy from you.

On the other side, the site is very complex and I'm sure that has something to do with people no having a clue how to contact you.

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
This is how you qualify a lead!

Warning :
We will not be the lowest price
Quality work, preformed in a timely manner by skilled craftsman isn't associated with the lowest price.

Remember - it's always possible to get something cheaper, but what are you giving up in return?

Caveat emptor is Latin for "Let the buyer beware". Beware that all the horror stories of home improvements gone wrong that you read about in the newspaper and see on TV... - false promises, stolen deposits, jobs going on forever, or never getting finished at all, shoddy workmanship, leaking pipes - faucets and showers, electrical fires, water damage and all the rest all have a common denominator in that the consumer was seduced by the price and not the reputation of the contractor.

With home remodeling you truly get what you pay for.
Why we cost more :
To read in detail what separates us from everyone else -- click here.
We do not take short-cuts, taking pride in our work is not just a marketing slogan. (Read our testimonial page before going further), We became the #1 bathroom remodeler in Colorado by being the best not by being the cheapest.

Thank you in advance for choosing to contact us. We sincerely appreciate every one of our customers and will do our very best to give you the best bathroom remodeling experience you deserve.
Contact me by Phone: 303-948-9195

Rocky Mountain Bathrooms, Inc
10507 W. Ottawa Ave
Littleton, Colorado 80127

Owner: Michael Finley

Fax: 303-979-3068

Email:
[email protected]or by filling out this online contact form
Online Contact Form
Your Contact Information

Name Phone Number (daytime number)

Street Address Email Address

City, State, Zip Code

Your Project Information

How did you hear about Rocky Mountain Bathroom?
What is the primary reason for doing this remodeling?

Do you currently live in this home? - Yes No

How long have you lived there?

Approximate year home was built ?

Have you ever hired a professional remodeler before? - Yes No

When would you like to begin this project?

When would you like the project completed by?

What budget have you considered for this project?
- I have no idea under $5,000 $5,000 - $10,000 $10,000 - $15,000 $15,000 - $20,000 $20,000 - $30,000 $30,000 - $40,000 $40,000 - $50,000 $50,000 and up

Please tell me a little about your project :

At least you practice what you preach. This is a surefire way to get less people to fill out your form. If I was interested and found this point blank approach you use, I would at least want to hear what you had to say.

Most advertising is purely based on Price. This is refreshing and I would guess it does pretty well for you. Now I have to go back and look over the rest of your site.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome feedback

Hey I appreciate a fresh set of eyes... when you are "In" the process you get lost sometimes.

Overlooking the simple things!!!

There were a couple of comments on that its difficult to navigate ...

any suggestions?

what did you find difficult ?

·
Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!
187 Posts
Strange... I have 3.0.8 as well...

The asterisked text is behind the FIRST and LAST name lines on mine.

Also the TIME line sits halfway on the border between the white and black backgrounds.
Your text size is not the default. And the website is not coded properly for accessibility.
When the text size grows on his site, it breaks the layout. You are likely not seeing any of his site as it was intended.
You can click Ctrl+0 to set it back, Crtl++ to increase, Ctrl+- to decrease. Also the new versions of Firefox and IE default to Page zoom because of this issue. In Firefox click View, Zoom, check or uncheck zoom text only to change page/text type of zoom.

Check out Silvertree's site to see how to design with Accessibility in mind.
See how large the text will go before the layout starts to break.
http://www.silvertreeconstruction.com/

As far as the site not getting the leads you want. Besides it not being obvious as stated above, the general site is too complex and low contrast. The navigation is tough on the some screens, requires too many clicks to get to an area that Maybe I want, if not now I have to figure out the Nav all over again. Most will just give up and move on because Google is so good at giving me alternatives.

You have at most 30 seconds to deliver content that makes them want to check you out further.
A convoluted navigation with-
"Empire Contracting – Serving all of Northern NJ
• Creating a Dream Kitchen in Chatham NJ – The challenge was to expand th..." -
as the opening statements, does not drive me to want to check you out further.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts