Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is our new current project. It's a full gut kitchen remodel that will open into the new sitting room/sun room.

Here is the location of the new addition. We cut the brick to prep for the beam and the addition.

ForumRunner_20140416_205854.jpg

Here 3 of the 4 plys are installed and the brick below removed.

ForumRunner_20140416_205916.jpg

Today we framed the deck and walls.

ForumRunner_20140416_205937.jpg

·
Super Moderator
24,693 Posts
Looks like a fun job...:thumbsup:

What kind of roof will it have to miss those upper windows?

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks griz! I have been looking forward to this project for months! The roof will be a 4 sided hip. We will have to frame a cricket on the backside then. It's getting standing seam metal.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
That does look like a fun job, I'd love to get to do more additions.

Now this may be a dumb question:laughing: I've never really had to deal with brick like that on an addition.

How do you take the brick out to fit the beam in place without the upper courses coming down or loose? Do you just go real quick:laughing:

Dave

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does look like a fun job, I'd love to get to do more additions.

Now this may be a dumb question:laughing: I've never really had to deal with brick like that on an addition.

How do you take the brick out to fit the beam in place without the upper courses coming down or loose? Do you just go real quick:laughing:

Dave
Not a dumb question at all. Actually one we gave some serious thought to and involved our mason with to make sure that didn't happen. We left a few spots supported right until we were ready to set the beam. Before the last sections were removed, the beam was cut and up on the scaffold and the supports were cut and by each end ready to go. We used some jacks to put some up pressure on the beam and shimmed the supports tights.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Very interesting challenge.

A big contrast of the glass with the established brick.

I looks like good planning preparation to connect the addition. The saw cuts look good (hopefully deep enough) and were located to handle the removal of the brick, connections and the concrete stoop.

I would not sweat the roof of the addition since the windows upstairs were usually used to look out and horizontally and not down to the grass that that now be gone.

Some landscape shrubs could soften the exterior elevation difference.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very interesting challenge.

A big contrast of the glass with the established brick.

I looks like good planning preparation to connect the addition. The saw cuts look good (hopefully deep enough) and were located to handle the removal of the brick, connections and the concrete stoop.

I would not sweat the roof of the addition since the windows upstairs were usually used to look out and horizontally and not down to the grass that that now be gone.

Some landscape shrubs could soften the exterior elevation difference.
Thanks! Yes we added our water hose and cut all the way through the brick. I think this was a huge key in not transferring vibration to the remaining brick as we chiseled it off. As far as the windows, they are in guest rooms rarely used.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. Actually one we gave some serious thought to and involved our mason with to make sure that didn't happen. We left a few spots supported right until we were ready to set the beam. Before the last sections were removed, the beam was cut and up on the scaffold and the supports were cut and by each end ready to go. We used some jacks to put some up pressure on the beam and shimmed the supports tights.

I know I would deffinetly have some anziety that morning:laughing: I just saw a house around here that they were repairing the brick and tried to take some big lintels out to replace. Next thing you know, most of the front of the place is coming down.

Dave

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Things have been progressing nicely. The exterior is mostly complete but it has been raining all week so no outside pics. We got the board hung, taped, and finished and started on the custom mantel/built in and interior trim.

image-3896575578.jpg

image-3592431193.jpg

image-1188520113.jpg

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Superseal! The biggest reason we used the wood beam was it gave us the ability to put it up in phases. I prefer steel, but it would have made the process a little more difficult...and heavier! The glass is tempered and they are Andersen 400 series windows and the A series for the patio door.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts