Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for my coping saw this morning and could not find it, even though I have probably 3 or 4 of them. It's one of those tools I don't use that often , only time is if I'm doing baseboard or crown mold . Seems like every time I do one of those jobs I have to buy a new coping saw ! Got me wondering if anyone else has this problem and with what tools ?

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
What, you think dryers have the only Gremlins or black holes?.... :whistling :laughing:

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
I was looking for my coping saw this morning and could not find it, even though I have probably 3 or 4 of them. It's one of those tools I don't use that often , only time is if I'm doing baseboard or crown mold . Seems like every time I do one of those jobs I have to buy a new coping saw ! Got me wondering if anyone else has this problem and with what tools ?
Too often. The more projects overlap, the more it happens...."Now where did I just see that thing...?" :mad:

My problem usually starts with filling a bucket with the tools I need. At the end of the day, I'm too short on time, it's too dark..or I'm too tired to put the stuff back where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a bad habit of leaving tools on various jobs. Part of the problem is that I don't have a tool trailer and don't have room in my truck for all my tools at once, so I take what I think I'll need to a job.
Really need to get a trailer... and a shop!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just happened to me, thought I lost my utility knife on a job so had to buy a new one. Started to clean up some of my tools and found the other 5 I had in a bucket that thought I lost. :laughing:

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I dont have a trailer but i have a set of tool bags. Each one has a purpose and every tool has a spot. Sounds anal retentive. Tools go back when done. It must save me days over the course of the year.

Its an extension of the empty hand rule. Never go anywhere empty handed. If youre walkong across the room take something with you and put it away.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I was pondering a similar idea this morning while looking for my painters' tool. What is an acceptable budget for lost/broken tools? I'm pretty good to my tools so I don't break them much and I'm a one man band so I don't have helpers who treat my tools like crap. That said, I do leave tools behind from time to time and occasionally tools will break. I was wondering what an acceptable shrinkage rate is for this stuff.

The tools I'm always looking for are: pencil and tape measure. They're always around, but never where I left them. :laughing:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a big tool trailer. My problem is when I don't haul it for smaller jobs. There's always something in there I forgot. So I have like 5 of every tool known to man. When my trailer is on site never do I have to buy anything, built shelves and everything has its place. I must have let other trade guys borrow things I had in trail on last job like 6 times. Now me problem is big trailer getting full. Might need bigger trailer , ..But first I would need bigger truck...You see where I am going with this ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Brian if you got a lot of tools like I do. Don't get one of those little biddy trailers , you won't even be able to get in it. Plus, if you do some how make it in .you will hit your head every time getting out. 12'by8'by6' thumbs up

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm as guilty as the next guy about filling a bucket with tools, & loosing track, but this is where the old saying :
" A place for everything, & everything in it's place" applies.:whistling

That might mean keeping a set of tools for mobile projects in a dedicated tote of some sort, or just having defined tool placements around the shop. I have a dedicated set of tools for my Mattison lathe, which is a complcated setup, & needs about 15 or so different tools. They are laid out in shape against an old vertical door fastened onto the back of a mobile cart. Each tool shape is outlined on door, with instructions to everyone else not to use them!:no::mad::censored:

When I used to have 4 vans fully equiped for interior trim crews, they each were setup the same with tote boxes, & van shelves that were the same. It made it easier to makes sure everything was back in van at end of day

The one thing I do know is it's cheaper to have duplicates, than to spend a lot of time trying to find the one you have. :whistling
Joe

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have the same problem and have a 12' V nose trailer.I'm almost as guilty as my crew ,but care more.A few guys working for me and they are fair but don't care as much because they don't have to buy the tools.I had one guy the other day that could not find his magnetic level.We had done a metal roof that had a 13" vent going thru.He left it on the stack and wanted me to pay him for 1 hour,after work, to find his level.That did not happen.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
There are a few small tools that I often misplaced right in front of me, like a particular hex wrench or drill bit. Putting a piece of blue tape on them worked wonders.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I am known...and constantly joked about, for being obsessive about organization. But hand tools are just hard to keep track of some times. Anything owned in multiples is especially susceptible.

It's really bad when you realize you haven't seen your Hobart buzz box in a couple years.

On the flip side, I think it balances out. I just "found" a barely used set of Stanley sawhorses in my shop....go figure.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Years ago, I thought I lost a plain can opener. I had it for opening oil cans. I guess that dates me pretty well, huh? Anyway, I found it the next time I checked the oil in that vehicle. That's the only thing I have ever lost. I have a bigger problem with forgetting to whom I have loaned something. It's pretty limited what/why I will loan something. I won't loan anything that will be used in the production of income and I don't loan anything that has moving parts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts