Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I submitted an estimate 2 weeks ago for trimming a remodel/spec house. I had not heard anything, so I called the house flipper,uh, excuse me "builder". I asked her if she had made a choice on who would trim her house and she tells me, in a rather snotty tone. " Your est. was the highest of the 5 I recieved . Obviously I can't use you, your price was 5k more than the last one I got"
Oh well, can't win em' all.
I guess I added more dollars in the "Excedrin" column than the other guys.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I submitted an estimate 2 weeks ago for trimming a remodel/spec house. I had not heard anything, so I called the house flipper,uh, excuse me "builder". I asked her if she had made a choice on who would trim her house and she tells me, in a rather snotty tone. " Your est. was the highest of the 5 I recieved . Obviously I can't use you, your price was 5k more than the last one I got"
She may just call you yet, after the mess she gets going low ball.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've lost many jobs recently even when my price was based on the same numbers I was using for last few years. It seems to me people are going for cheapest bidder.

I've lost 110 sq slate off shingle on roof with new plywood, 12/14 pitch, copper flashing, valleys, 30' high, busy street, masonry scaffold on each side, 60' high turret. Someone is doing it for 53 K. 10K less than my bid.
Other job was Hardie Plank Siding and AZEK trim, fascia, radius fascias and trim etc. - another job lost to a so called contractor who never worked with AZEK and Hardie Plank. They don't even own pomp jacks. hehehehe

In my opinion, there are plenty of people without work right now - they will and they are stealing jobs by low balling price. As winter is approaching we will see more of those guys. Fortunately, I am prepared to sit at home and wait for those cheap-fukin'-stealing bastards to run out of the money.

Being in business for last twenty years I saw poor times. Nothing like this time. I had to lay off guys, working for me for last 15 years. That is sad as I've always was able to provide work for them.

Somehow we have to go through next few monts.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I lose an average of 1 potential job each day. I have bills to pay and employees with families to support, we aren't going to work for free.

She may just call you yet, after the mess she gets going low ball.
This is a Denver house flipper. They make their profits on flipping out of pockets of the workers they use. If they used legitimate contractors they would lose money on their flips.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not losing any sleep over this. I might drive by an look to see what she's getting if I'm in the area. If she got some hack , I'll be sure to point out what she could have gotten:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
They are still house f%ckers, uhh I mean fliipers out there? Last time I spoke with a flipper about 2 years ago they wanted to remodel a basement and add a kitchen, which denver doesn't allow, and they told me they could get someone for 15 dollars an hour no material markups and could get the kitchen done without permits, so I went out to my truck and called the head building guy and had him pay a visit to the flipper jerkoff. Not sure of the outcome but I heard they stopped all work and wouldn't allow the sale until inspected.:whistling

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really dislike potential clients telling me that my price is too high. I know my price will be higher than others!! I don't work for free, nor do my guys, we work for a honest wage, period.

There was a moment last month that I had a guy tell me someone else (literally told me, "a guy down the street") could do the job for 1/3 the price. I respectfully told him that this was the last job I would be bidding for him, thanked him for his interest and hung up the phone. Job went from a 30K kitchen/structural wall removal to a guy down the street installing a tiny kitchen for 1200 bucks.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Congrats on being the highest bidder. :thumbsup: Stay the course. What would you rather do: 1 job for $50k or 50k jobs for $1.

You're right - you can't win them all. Stay the course. :clap:

·
remodeler
40 Posts
I just lost a $35,000 roof job to some company that low balled me. Last I heard they stripped the entire side of the roof of this building even though there was a 60% chance of rain. The one that informed me of this also told me that they got finfished stripping it so late in the day that he couldn't see how they would be able to dry it in before dark. I am still interested to see if I get a call to come and fix the mess. I am interested to see their expressions when they find out that fixing someone elses screw ups are more expensive that just having me do it the first time.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I hate this house flipper stuff with a passion but there are a lot of houses where if it cant be done cheap & fast house remodel wont happen, house resale wont happen, house sits, everything grinds to a hault. It sucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of tghe job I've lost is a new construction Hardie Plank Siding & AZEK soffit. 60K job on 2.5 Mil house. Builder gave this one to a guy who never installed it before, never worked with AZEK, doesn't even owns pump jacks. But they were cheaper 12K.
Go figure, hehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts