Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gave a nice presentation,home owners liked everything and then the husband asked about the proposal which i said i have "right here". he then aid just fax it to me so he could "digest the price". i faxed it and he never called..i then contacted his wife who said they found windows for half the cost..they were Alside's bottom of the barrel window. i tried explaining how mine were much better and reminding her of everything i went over during the presentation.i could tell the woman was embarassed because her husband was trying to be slick by finding a fireman that installs window on the weekend. un friggin real!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
gave a nice presentation,home owners liked everything and then the husband asked about the proposal which i said i have "right here". he then aid just fax it to me so he could "digest the price". i faxed it and he never called..i then contacted his wife who said they found windows for half the cost..they were Alside's bottom of the barrel window. i tried explaining how mine were much better and reminding her of everything i went over during the presentation.i could tell the woman was embarassed because her husband was trying to be slick by finding a fireman that installs window on the weekend. un friggin real!
Send them a reminder that you not only install replacement windows, but also service and repair windows that were installed improperly. Feel free to call in the future.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why didn't you offer to install the Alside's? Yeah they might not be as good as yours, but do they have to be?

I usually give the customer a lot of latitude regarding the materials they choose. I recommend best quality materials, but within the my customer's price range. If they opt for cheaper, less costly materials, I make sure they know about the disadvantages before I proceed.

My primary income comes from the labor though, not materials; but maybe that is revenue your business needs to be profitable, and swapping out materials isn't an option?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Around here you must be licensed and also get a permit for said window replacement...:whistling
Yeah, here (WA) as well.

Although you don't need a permit for replacements unless the rough opening changes, or the total cost of materials + labor is over $3.5k (less for Oregon).

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Yeah, here (WA) as well.

Although you don't need a permit for replacements unless the rough opening changes, or the total cost of materials + labor is over $3.5k (less for Oregon).
Main reason here is for making sure it is up to code, installation wise. They don't want you to create a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why didn't you offer to install the Alside's? Yeah they might not be as good as yours, but do they have to be?

I usually give the customer a lot of latitude regarding the materials they choose. I recommend best quality materials, but within the my customer's price range. If they opt for cheaper, less costly materials, I make sure they know about the disadvantages before I proceed.

My primary income comes from the labor though, not materials; but maybe that is revenue your business needs to be profitable, and swapping out materials isn't an option?
This sounds good in theory but there are just too many people out there who will work for peanuts. Throw in a few that underbid by accident.

If price is the customers bottom line you just have to pass.

A couple of the biggest replacement window companies in the country pay their subs $25 each to replace windows, they generously add in another $10/$15 for wrapping:eek:. Not sure how they find people to work for that but they manage to get alot of windows in the hole.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sometimes you should be glad that the job fairy passed you by.

I had a :rolleyes: ...guess you could say friend, ask me about figuring up the material list for a porch on his, soon to be, new mod home. He had a 1 page floor plan and the specs of how wide/deep etc. Said he had "a guy he knew" that was going to pour the footer and another guy to lay the foundation and if I did a take off for him he might let me help him build it if I didnt charge him too much :laughing:.
But he is a friend.........so I did a quick material list for him in about 6 or 7 minuets added in a little extra for the ones he's gonna cut wrong and handed him a page and a 1/2 list of 4xs, 2x's 1xs (for bridging) more 2x's to cut down for ledger, Stringer material, joist hangers, told him to get plenty of cut nails, gun nails, deck screws, hand drives (common and coated), ring shanks button caps, and roofing nails.
He looked at me like this :eek:.
I guess I was the "guy he knew" that could figure his material.
:devil2: Hee Hee Hee

·
Registered
301 Posts
/\ and those windows look like absolute hell.

Ya.. I had a guy that worked for one of them tell me the way they finish the outside on a metal out in brick is to stick that vinyl strip with tape on one side to the window and overlap however many pieces it takes to reach the brick.:laughing:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
This sounds good in theory but there are just too many people out there who will work for peanuts.
Tell me about it. My bro in law asked me to do some work for him and i knew he was low on cash so i done him a deal for $150 a day for what ever he needed me to do from bathrooms to carpet instal and he said that it was to much money and that he has a guy coming who is doing all the same stuff i was gonna do for $80 a day :eek::eek::eek:. I said i wouldnt even let you borrow my tools for $80 a day! let alone work for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts