Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to plan ahead this winter. What have you found that was the "weak link" during winter? Air lines? Compressor? Guns? Getting the coveralls washed this weekend. I just want to hit this winter and be able to continue to repair homes throughout with minimal downtime.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I want to be able to plan ahead this winter. What have you found that was the "weak link" during winter? Air lines? Compressor? Guns? Getting the coveralls washed this weekend. I just want to hit this winter and be able to continue to repair homes throughout with minimal downtime.
We always had a problem with water freezing in the air lines, until we started using a drier and autoluber with winter air oil!

My personal weak link was my gloves. Never could get a pair that were flexible, waterproof and kept my hands warm!:eek:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Wet saw

Wet saw was my biggest dread. Bought a little propane torpedo heater
and a plastic curtain:thumbup:.
The mini compressor I got last winter can't start up when it's cold:sad:

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
You said the mother of all bad words. "WINTER"!!

I hate to even think about it til it gets here. I have to agree with the air hoses freezing. When that happens this year, I am going home. That will be my new indicator of when it is to crappy to work. The gloves thing has haunted me for 25 years. Someday, someone will invent a pair that is waterproof, flexible, durable, and very warm. I will pay big bucks for those when they come out. In the meantime, I usually buy about 3 dozen pairs of jersey gloves. Somedays, I go through as many as 5-10 pair. I was also considering having one of those hand towels on my belt kinda like the quarterbacks use to dry their hands.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I rarely use gloves, don't like em, so i stick those heat pads in my Carhartt pockets...:shifty:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I always had a problem with freezing air hoses and guns. Draining the compressors tanks frequently helped, as well as keeping everything bathed in sunlight when possible.
As for gloves, brown jersey gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off. A pair of nitrile rubber gloves under them to keep the wind off of the hands works great too.

Reactions: nEighter

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I always had a problem with freezing air hoses and guns. Draining the compressors tanks frequently helped, as well as keeping everything bathed in sunlight when possible.
As for gloves, brown jersey gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off. A pair of nitrile rubber gloves under them to keep the wind off of the hands works great too.
Lone I have seen those fingerless gloves and I have always wondered...........................................................

Isn't that the part that gets cold? The fingers?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Lone I have seen those fingerless gloves and I have always wondered...........................................................

As long as I keep my hands covered, I can usually tough out the fingers being cold. In rare cases of extreme cold here, I will leave the fingers on the gloves, but it kills my productivity. I had good results with the nitrile gloves last winter. They will be on my Fall shopping list this year too. It's the wind that kills my buzz.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Just hit them with your hammer a couple more times,:laughing:
Once they're numbed up real good,no problem.:shutup:

Last winter wasn't bad ,cause of mostly dry snow conditions here,all the shoveling however.....................

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You guys need to work where it is up to 20 below. Fingerless and no gloves don't cut it!
It rarely goes into single digits here and I like it like that. Summer/Winter temp extremes range from 10 degrees in winter to 100 degrees in summer, rarely are these limits broken.:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
You guys need to work where it is up to 20 below. Fingerless and no gloves don't cut it!

I hear ya. Northeast Ohio here. We get the cold and snow crap about the day before you guys do. As a rule of thumb, we try not to work when it gets below 10 degrees. This rule is not set in stone, but if its 10 and blustery, forget about working outside that day. I really don't mind the cold all that much. It's the wet snow that kills ya.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here in the 'ville, Louisville, Ky that is, i like to treat myself to a nice $25 pair of Northface glove liners at the begining of each Winter. Over them, I will wear a fresh pair of jersey gloves. Once the jersys get a hole (usually my left index finger) I throw them away immedatel so I do not wear out the quality glove liners. This allows the liners to last all winter. The liners are practical with anything below 25 deg. f. Anything above that the jersys stay nice and warm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts