Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

My business partner and I jumped right in to starting a renovation business. My partner has over 30 years of construction/renovation/repair experience and my background is in project management/sales/client relations. Our vision is to carefully grow a small business model into a resource for homeowners looking for home renovations and repairs.

The problem is navigating this extremely unhelpful licensing process considering each of our deficiencies. My business partner is a jedi with regard to the actual work and is loved by all he has ever worked for. A couple years back, he was up in Northern New York and the economy was horrible effecting his ability to get work and pay his creditors. He had an enormous child support bill, one he paid off early, but at the expense of some creditors and now credit is shot. This will greatly impact his ability to get licensed here in Florida as an RC.

My deficiency is I do not have nearly (none if you take away homeowner experience) the amount of knowledge he does related to becoming an RC. I have the credit score, I can study and pass the test (I am a licensed property and casualty and life insurance agent), I can likely get a year verified experience having worked with a roofer and GC for at least a documented year and have 3 years of college, but there is no way I can confidently go before a board to get approved.

Having said all that, I am looking for a respectable GC/RC in the Tampa Bay area that we could form a relationship with to where one can see firsthand the talent level and integrity in which we operate.

In the meantime, we will be working for friends and attempt to clean up my partners credit so we dont embark on a three thousand dollar process and end up with nothing.

If there are any GCs/RCs in the Tampa Bay area that would like to meet us and see what kind of opportunities exist please call me. We are very responsible and take our jobs and responsibilities seriously. We would never put you in a bad position as a result of our work or professionalism. I am looking forward to meeting anyone interested in having a discussion.

Ben Navarre
Renovation Solutions
813-419-7104
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
There are still a couple of options to be able to get your general contractor or roofing contractor license here in Florida even if you have bad credit. :thumbsup:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/cilb/financial.html

Licensing Bonds and Letters of Credit: If an applicant does not have a 660 credit score at the time of application, the applicant may still establish financial responsibility by obtaining a licensing bond or letter of credit. The amount of the bond or letter of credit depends on the type of license sought: $20,000 for Division I contractors or $10,000 for Division II contractors. These amounts may be reduced to $10,000 for Division I contractors and $5,000 for Division II contractors by completing a board-approved financial responsibility course.

Obtaining a Licensing Bond: Applicants may obtain a licensing bond by contacting their local insurance agents.

Obtaining a Letter of Credit: Applicants may contact their banks or lending institutions to obtain a letter of credit. The letter of credit must be payable to the Construction Industry Licensing Board for fines and costs.

Taking the 14-hour Financial Responsibility Course: Applicants may find a list of the board’s approved Financial Responsibility courses by clicking on the following link: Financial Responsibility Courses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts