Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys this is my first post on this site so please take it easy on me. I am a hvac tech and installer. Thinking of going out on my own and start my own business. The problem is that I live in a rural area and from what I have seen is that it's hard to make it on heating work alone. With that being said I am thinking of also getting in the electrical business also.
In hvac I do all my own electrical work. Running my own power to the units, adding sub panels, ect.
So after that whole long post here is my real question. Do you guys think that someone like myself and cross over and be able to do both hvac and electrical work?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
well what are you going to do about being licensed? Or don't you have to be in your state? As much as I know a fair amount about electrical I am not doing it on a customers house.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Do you guys think that someone like myself and cross over and be able to do both hvac and electrical work?
How can we say, without actually knowing you? Of course it's possible. Many of the members here are multi-discipline and do quite well at it. But no one can tell whether you personally have the drive and ability to do so.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I see lots of "mechanical" contractors. But they usually do the HVAC and plumbing, don't know if the tools and equipment cross over better or what, but that's how I would lean if I were you. I do know one electrician/plumber, has both licenses, so why not HVAC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can tell there is no state license needed. It's left up the towns. I am thinking of taking a electrical classes at a local school. I am not looking at getting into huge commercial work. Just looking to work residental.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Or a picture of your wife/girlfrend....or both...if she/they are hot ;)

BTW, what state are you in? Someone might be able to confirm (or not) what your research has found so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am thinking is becoming a subcontractor and for the first bit become a laborer. Use that to build my knowledge in the electrical field. I have no intensions of hanging a sign out tomorrow saying I am an electrician. Just looking for a way to feed my family and pay my bills.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Why don't we start over in the introduction section.

We need a very detailed background to answer any questions here,

minimum of 75 words, and a picture of you is required.
and a picture of your wedding day your moma and kids, shoot send a pic of your truck and van also, crap forgot the dog. forgot the question can you repost, so we can be sure to get the answer right :thumbsup:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've always thought about HVAC guys as being the "marines" of the building trades because you guys have to know a little bit about every trade in order to do your hookups. If you can wire up an outdoor AC unit, electrical is a piece of cake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts