Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Minnesota. Looking to move to Maricopa, AZ (south of Phoenix). I am a Brit who learned traditional plastering. Moving to the states I do drywall, stucco, venetian plastering and EIFS. Anyone know the chances of getting work in Phoenix??

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in Minnesota. Looking to move to Maricopa, AZ (south of Phoenix). I am a Brit who learned traditional plastering. Moving to the states I do drywall, stucco, venetian plastering and EIFS. Anyone know the chances of getting work in Phoenix??
Extremely slow for everyone down here, and I know a few drywall hangers who have been camped out on the couch for the better part of this year.

Phoenix was WAY overbuilt, so very little new construction as the foreclosures still keep coming. The drywall and stucco/insulation is going to be hard to find work doing unless you can find a restoration company that's swamped with foreclosures.

Here, only five pages of restoration companies: :thumbup:
http://www.dexknows.com/local/const...tractors/geo/c-phoenix-az/att/rehabilitation/

Also, check the websites for TW Lewis and Pulte and see if they have any jobs posted or call their HR depts. They may still have projects going in Maricopa, though I believe most are on hold.

If you're up for going into biz for yourself, you might find some interest for the plastering, particularly for some of the higher-end homes in Scottsdale, and Cave Creek - but that's the exact opposite end of the world from Maricopa. You'll want to kill yourself after making that trek a few times in rush hour. :w00t:

·
New In Biz-Needin' Advice
16 Posts
AZ is not the place for contracting, either find a new biz, or get a job

moved here 6 months ago, was a self employed gc in oregon making 100k plus a year. it is ridiculous here be careful and dont make the mistake i made. other than that its nice here lol :sad:

·
vandy
266 Posts
Markets are bad everywhere, AZ included.

But you do have a unique skill set being a true plaster man.

You may try calling on high end custom home builders. True plastering (as opposed to drywall finishing) is a dying trade here in the USA. Plaster in homes comes at a premium now.

Call on high end custom home builders and architects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts