Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to remodel my apartment and I need to remove all the wallpaper. Can anyone give me some suggestions to tackle this project. The wallpaper is contacted on poured cement walls. thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well congratulations, you have just decided to tackle one of the hardest and most labor intensive projects dealing with painting and wall covering in my opinion.

Wallpaper is tricky because sometimes it just peels off in sheets like a sticker and other times you have to scrape it off inch by inch with a razor blade.

My weapon of choice is DIF wallpaper remover and hot water.First, punch holes in the wallpaper with a wallpaper scouring tool. Second, Roll the solution (1 pint of DIF to two gallons of hot water) onto the wallpaper. When you are done then test the paper to see how tuff it is. If it is still stuck on the wall then roll a second coat of DIF on the wall paper always waiting 15 minutes in between each coat.

Vinyl wallpaper is the toughest wallpaper to remove because the remover does not penetrate all the way through the wallpaper. Rather than trying to take it all off in one shot. you will have to do two shots. First remove the top vinyl layer, then wet the paper underlayer again, and it will come off like a charm. Always wash the walls with luke warm water and a bit of detergent to remove any extra glue. I then primer the walls befor i paint.

·
4,617 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Do you mean contact cement?
Try C-4 placed strategically around the edges.
If that doesn't work at least you get some new windows out of the deal, not to mention a pass-through to the neighbors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A steamer works well. It helps to mark the paper before you steam with a wallpaper tiger. Just keep steaming and scraping until it comes off. At least you don't have to deal with unprimed sheetrock that's been papered over. Now that's a pain.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sitting here thinking -

why are you renovating an apartment
who sticks wallpaper to concrete

and most importantly, it would be eaiser to just sheetrock over the wallpaper. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Sitting here thinking--

You all are posting to a thread started over a year and a half ago, and the original guy never even came back. :no:

Heh, it was at the top and bored people with not much else to do click things and type stuff. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts