Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a client that is looking to have a custom curbless shower built. Actually 2 of them. I have done these a couple times before. But what makes this one different is the home is TJI's. What would be the best way to remove enough material to allow a sufficient slope to a linear drain??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also one would be a corner shower, the other is a tub replace with shower. I am not 100% sure what company I will be getting the drains from yet. A very big price difference in them.

Anyone have experience doing this type of thing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CarpenterSFO said:
Re-reading the question....Are you asking about running the drain perpendicular to the TJI's, and notching them?
I think that is the position they want one in for sure. Is that even doable??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So basically the location would be determined by the joists then. What about shaving/cutting the top of the joists to allow enough of a slope ?

I'm not 100% if I will need to. But am curious if its even an option. I am adding heated floors to the room so I have a little extra height to help me out.

·
Super Moderator
24,297 Posts
so basically the location would be determined by the joists then. what about shaving/cutting the top of the joists to allow enough of a slope ?

i'm not 100% if i will need to. But am curious if its even an option. I am adding heated floors to the room so i have a little extra height to help me out.
no....

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The basic rule is that there's no cutting or notching the flange, top or bottom on a TJI.

While the standard, stylish thing to do is to put a linear drain across the threshhold line, I don't think there's anything in the code to require it. For that matter, as far as I understand it, most state codes don't yet accept the no-curb shower, although AHJs have seen the light and won't argue with it, if it's presented as a question of aging or disability. Anyway, you don't have to have a linear drain, and you don't have to have a drain across the threshold line.

If it's an absolute requirement, well, it's only money, right? You can double up some joists and build a box, or manage some other framing solution. But no cutting the flanges.

Edit: Just saw it's a garage under. Do some framing.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
It's a second floor garage under
Install proper beams from load point to load point on both sides of the notched joists. Attach in approved manner and proceed.

You'll need to have a engineer approve the plans first. Or just man up and tell them they are getting a floor stone base...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know worst case scenario they will accept having a curb. But I would love to build the curbless shower for them. So I'm just weighing all the options. Thought you all would be the best place to bounce some ideas around with.

I will look at the option of reframing as well. Typically is it the same rule of thumb here 1/4" per foot required

1 - 19 of 19 Posts