Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting tires of my Milwaukee and Makita sawzalls that have the quick chuck....my blades keep poping out

who makes a good sawzall that uses a chuck key..i dont think milwaukee makes one anymore

as a plumber my sawzall gets wet and the quick chuck gets f'd up quickly...wd-40 helps, but after a while it stops working

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm not sure if any of the brands still have the allen key. You may be better off looking around on ebay or craigslist for a couple older models in good shape.

I'm not a plumber so my sawzalls stay pretty dry, but I can definetly see where you are coming from. I have trouble with my Milwaukee cordless sawzall. Its a great saw in every other respect, but when the blade mechanism gets wet from cutting out old drains or working in the mud it needs wd-40 or it quits working.

Dave

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
im getting tires of my Milwaukee and Makita sawzalls that have the quick chuck....my blades keep poping out
This seems hard to believe. I have never had this problem with my porter cable tiger. I have had the piston loosen but nver have a blade jump out.s

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive owned many Milwaukee's....they all have had the issue.....

doesnt matter what the blade brand is

i took my Makita out of storage to start using instead....it has the same issue and its almost brand new

it does appear that no one makes a chuck key version...ill end up taking my Milwaukee in for a new chuck

i think my Makita did this from day 1....

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
only problem I've ever experienced could be fixed w/ wd40. Gunk may have gotten into the mechanism and now allowing it to close completely, lubricant may clean it out and allow a better connection to the blade.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Would carb cleaner work too clean old lube?
Its worth a try.

I think the Bosch twist lock system is probably the best of the bunch for not spitting blades out. It does occasionally freeze in the winter though. :censored:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
WD 40 is temporary. I use CLP on my Milwaukee. I get a hair up my ¥&& everyonce in a while and CLP anything that might need it from drill chucks to hand tools.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My Dewalt is old enough that it uses a grub screw that I've lost and replaced a thousand times. My hilti has a twist release and it works well, but I rarely use my sawzall anymore.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a Milwaukee that's 20+ years old with a hex screw. Although the saw itself is excellent, I hate the blade holding mechanism. It loosens up way too fast. That was the single reason I bought a new one with the twist type blade holder.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Why not it was meant for just that purpose. WD-40 stands for water displacement #40 (for the 40th try)
WD40 is not a lube and although many people use it as one it will really gum things up overtime.

After you displace the water you should follow up with a good lube like Kroil or CLP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts