Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a garage I already have the go ahead for, but I have second thoughts on my material choices. I priced LP smartpanels and smartrim for the vast majority of the siding. There is a few places I insist on pvc too. I considered fiber cement, but they ease of install steered me back to LP. Any suggestions? Does anyone make curved shakes to work for the top of the gable?

Property House Building Home Siding

Property House Building Shack Shed

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I wouldn't put anything other than vinyl on that. Would be scared to add more weight and with vinyl you can hide a lot more sag and bulges.

Just my opinion. I don't know what's around it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistake, it will be completely new, just made to look like that. They tore that ol girl down, which they might regret by the time this is done and payed for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is an LP structural smartpanel, that solves the big problem. Now to find a simpler solution for the curved shakes...

·
Punching above his weight
12,098 Posts
I've never used the engineered shakes before. You think there's be enough give to notch them out and bend them yourself?

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
The Smart Panels are great to work with. The LP trim is nice also.

As Darcy said, the shingles get installed on 1/4 circle layout lines.

Tom

·
Punching above his weight
12,098 Posts
These fellers:
or something to that effect. Thought you might be able to achieve a curve with them if the span is long enough.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,055 Posts
Kind of an odd detail - not really a sunburst, more like a series of arcs. Easy enough to do, just draw the arcs and nail on trimmed shingles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it's purdy, Andy. It would have to be single shakes, agreed, cut, primed individuals. It's obviously doable, just wondering if there is any prefab systems to simplify it. It's on schedule for November / December, so The prime aspect is a hassle. I think I would leave the second floor gable on the floor and do it then. What brand/material of shakes would you suggest Darcy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts