Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am a noob so please forgive any ignorance and transgressions (at least a little bit!) if you would.

I am pulling my hair out (ok, so I was already bald) trying to figure out who to contact in my area that would be interested in buying about 10,000 linear feet of pre-finished maple casing. It is on pallets and bundled in climate controlled storage.

What I am finding is that it is REALLY tough trying to find a place that contractors might look to buy things. Places that sell millwork want things just from their own suppliers. I sold enough to do a whole house on Craigslist but that barely made a dent.

Any thoughts on how to reach people? Being on pallets it would be easy enough to deliver and I would love to get rid of it. Gorgeous stuff.

Any thoughts are helpful...

Robb

·
Registered
669 Posts
First off, where and why do you have it MIGHT help out! Location is a major issue here. And what type of casing/profile/color/etc. More info will help ya out on this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
HAHA, I appreciate your reply Dave. I intentionally left some of that out because I didn't want it to be some blatant post trying to sell stuff. Seemed rude.

It is actually extra from a bunch of condos and other jobs. I am selling it for my building owner because I am trying to clear out the space for me to move into. I can give full info to anyone interested so that you can be assured it is not stolen or anything.

Location is downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin in building with elevator and dock. 90 minutes or so north of Chicago but I would work out a best solution for further.

Gorgeous natural clear soft maple casing pre-finished with clear coat. Stored in climate controlled storage and is in excellent shape.

There are two pallets with 90+ bundles.
Each bundle contains 10 pieces.
Each piece is 3-1/2" by 9/16" by 7' 2" long.

There is also approximately 2,500 plus linear feet of longer pieces of various lengths, much of which is 3-3/16" by 3/8".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Is it something you need to make a buck on, or do you just need it gone? You could donate it to habitat to humanity, or if you have a recycled building materials sled I your area you could donate it to them. You could at least get a tax write off from it.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Seems like you are going to have more hassle selling it, or trying than it's worth.

Ebay, local auction house, ad in local paper, Lumber Liquidators....

Best idea yet is to donate it....

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
One problem is that you don't have matching baseboard. That's probably a big issue for people. I'm sure the baseboard would fetch a pretty penny if they had to have that custom milled.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I don't know where you're at, but in my part of the country (the South :thumbsup:) that will be a tough sell. Nobody uses that style. The only time I see that kind of casing is in mobile homes and they're probably not going to buy 10k feet :no:. I would have to charge you to get rid of it :laughing:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW, thank you for all of the responses. For the most part you have all confirmed my suspicions. It is a tough sell. I think having baseboard would help would help but not by much. You did give me some interesting suggestions that I will follow up on so your time is greatly appreciated.

As to what I want for it. I had originally hoped for $2.25/LF, and that went out the window pretty quick. I've sold a bit through Craigslist, to a home owner redoing his home for $1.25/LF, which seems like a steal to someone who is actually buying for themselves to use at the moment.

So I would love to get close to $1/LF but at this point I would consider about any offer that was reasonable. I'd even deliver the stuff pretty cheap within a few hundred miles of Wisconsin.

If it doesn't go I might end up using it for a wall or ceiling application. It is gorgeous and there is so much of it that it would look amazing. I keep thinking how nice that would be!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts