Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if anyone finds not PC, but we have great male workers already and looking to add a female worker to our team. I know it's such a rare find, but being a female general contractor I would appreciate some company, but mainly it is for business improvement.
If anyone knows a woman in this profession who is looking please have her respond.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's a lot more PC than the abbreviated title 'looking for a female...' suggested.

Good for you. I've been thinking a female roofing salesperson would be great too.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Being PC or not has nothing to do with it. In many situations, basing hiring solely on gender is illegal. There have been companies who have gotten into trouble for ads such as yours. A better phraseology could have been:

Sales position open, bbla bla bla, females and minorities strongly urged to apply.

I'm in kind of a hurry, by a google search will result in a number od suggested ads

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Being PC or not has nothing to do with it. In many situations, basing hiring solely on gender is illegal.
sort of like "Black person wanted for...."
That opens the can of worms when one isn't the race/gender that they are looking for.
Like...."non-black person wanted for..." or "non-female wanted for..." etc.

Either everyone's equally protected or no one is....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But we all know it's not like that.........
When you are looking in a construction field saying you want a woman to work for you is not the same as saying you only want men working for you.... but i guess previous posters don't get it......

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
No, you don't get it mgooberman. Companies have gotten into trouble for asking the question the way you did. I personally really don't care about you or who you hire. It is just a fact that one must be careful about how they request applicants.

But you seem to view our words of caution as some proof of ignorance on our parts, when you are in fact being ignorant of what you can and can't say.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
How about hireing the best person for the job. Not based on race, religion, sex, age, etc.

Have applicants present their resume' with none of that information on it and hire based on experience, training, skills, etc.

Wow, what a novel idea. You may just find the best employee you ever had.

On second thought, this whole post should be deleted. Up to the mods.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Who cares whether the original question was PC or not? This is the internet and an informal professionals website. The poster was asking colleagues for leads to a specific type of worker. How is this any different than what many others have done when they've said they needed to hire help?

Now, if the OP was posting this in the news paper or onto a job search type site, I can see the need for a little more discretion.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,537 Posts
Just to add a bit of perspective here, you could hardly expect a Hollywood casting call to accept a sexy temptress for the role of an overmuscled hunk. There's a marketing factor here that quite possibly transcends the PC factor, and in that sense I have no problem with it. It's not always about raw ability. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
How about hireing the best person for the job. Not based on race, religion, sex, age, etc.
It should be that way, but if that were the case, "affirmative action" wouldn't exist and a whole lotta government employees would be out of a job, not to mention self appointed leaders of private "groups" would have to go out and get a real job, most for the first time in their lives.

Getting involved with government often means you have to have window dressing and if you don't, then you have to be able to explain why your company isn't "representative of the community". Most of the time you won't get that far tho. If you have the "correct" window dressing, you will be awarded contracts/grants/points/etc.

On second thought, this whole post should be deleted. Up to the mods.
I don't think it should be as this happens every day in every city in the US.
I know I've read things like "women and minorities are encouraged to apply" or "spanish speakers are encouraged to apply" or just "se habla espanol".

Those are no different than "straight white males are encouraged to apply". But we all know it is....few just have the honesty or courage publically admit it. ;)

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I know, in a perfect world that's the way it should be. Here's a short story.

I had 8 or 9 carpenters on payroll. Needed one more. We were doing commercial and residential new builds and renos. I needed a QUALIFIED carpenter. One I could send to any job, and he could do the job.

I interviewed 13 "carpenters". Well, they thought they were carpenters. Not really. One guy had all the qualifications. Trained in England, had his papers, had lots of experience, had the basic tools. Good guy.

I hired him right there. Well after about 2 weeks, this other carpenter who had been with me for about 3 years comes into the office and tells me he doesn't want to work with the new guy.

How come? Well because he's east indian. I told him to shut his corksoaker and if anyone would be going down the road it would be him.

Man, I hate prejudiced people. He could learn a lot from the "new guy". He was twice the carpenter the complainer was.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Anyone who owns a business should be able to hire whoever they damn well please, - - and for whatever reason(s) they choose.
Tom, you can hire anybody you want, you just can't place the ad for specifics.

Good Ad: Wanted- secretary with good people skills.

Bad Ad: Wanted - hot, buxom, blonde secretary. Must have tight a** and loose morals.

Well really the "good" ad is the bad ad, and the "bad" ad is the good ad.
:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
24,185 Posts
...Tom, you can hire anybody you want.
Wanted - hot, buxom, blonde secretary. Must have tight a** and loose morals....:laughing:
You don't have a phone number handy do ya?:whistling:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Tom, you can hire anybody you want, you just can't place the ad for specifics.

Good Ad: Wanted- secretary with good people skills.

Bad Ad: Wanted - hot, buxom, blonde secretary. Must have tight a** and loose morals.

Well really the "good" ad is the bad ad, and the "bad" ad is the good ad.
:laughing:

So you mean I have to scrap the new ad I was just formulating?? . . .

Looking for experienced carpenters

Illegals, queers, minorities, drunks, and druggies stay in your motel rooms.

·
Super Moderator
24,185 Posts
So you mean I have to scrap the new ad I was just formulating?? . . .

Looking for experienced carpenters

Illegals, queers, minorities, drunks, and druggies stay in your motel rooms.
Who's left to show up.:whistling If they don't fit your criteria they're probably already working.:w00t::laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts