Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in an earlier post we installed the laminate in the kitchen this weekend. The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is the heat register vent covers. I purchased some wooden ones from Lowes but they stick up so high and the color is all wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wrote to Witex and suggested that they come up with vent covers to match their laminate... they would make a killing. Thanks in advance.
Kim

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Unfortunately, some lam manufacturers DO have registers, you can see if there is a Wilsonart color that comes close, but it too may look cheesy. Real wood registers for lam floors are cheesy, and metal is kinda cheesy too.
I agree with you, Witex and other brands should make em, and the Flush mounts look fantastic.
www.Wilsonart.com to see if they have a register that closely matches.

I would probably buy a metal one, and paint it to contrast. Or just paint the wood one you got, although you said it was kinda high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions

I will go to Wilsonart and see if I can match anything. I did write to Witex and ask them if they had anything and suggested to them if they didn't that they might want to consider coming up with something. They emailed me back and said they didn't have anything and that it would be too expensive to come up with a product like that. I still think they're missing the band wagon. I did find a website that you can order vent free forms (for lack of better discription). You cut your laminate to fill in the spaces and then have a customized vent cover. I can't figure out if these are flush mount or drop in's though and have yet to hear from the company. Check them out and see what you think: www.islacarmen.com/index.html
Kim

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Interesting. I am sure it takes some work to get it right, but it is better than metal.
To be honest with you, I do not blame lam companies for not making registers. They would probably have to sub contract the work out, and then hold onto a big supply of thousands, then there product colors will change, then they become useless. Not alot of people demand them, so I can see why they do not do it.
But this product you showed me, looks like it could work, if your good at cutting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts