Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a copper tile like this for my own kitchen backsplash done a bout fourteen years ago. It’s not a ceramic but some kind of resin with copper face. I got a new slide in range and the new slide ins don’t fit like the older ones.
thanks.

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Good luck. 14 years is a long time. If that company made it that long, you'll still probably have a very hard time matching it.

The only copper tile I've seen/dealt with is actual copper tin wrapped over ceramic. Maybe try a large distributor in your area. They might know of some niche companies that produce what you're looking for.

That or consider an alternative to fill the gap. That's what I assume the issue is; new range isn't as tall as old. Maybe a complimentary strip of marble or similar to cover the gap.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I tried the tile supplier where i bought it and they said no way, I just thought i might get lucky and someone would have seen something like it. The problem is the old slide ins required a piece of counter top about 1 1/4 wide behind the range and the range top overlapped the counter on the sides and back by about a half inch. The new slide ins just fit between the counter top like a free standing range. The counter tops are soapstone that i fabricated myself out of slabs. I can remove the counter top piece but when i slide the new range in it will hit the soapstone backslash and stick out past the front of the cabinets about 1 1/4 inch past the front of the cabinets. I can cut the soapstone backsplash out and that will let the range slide in flush with the cabinet front but I will need to fill in that area with tile.

I have four tile left over from fourteen years ago and i could remove four of the half diagonal bottom tile and install the full tile that i have and then use the ones i remove to to fill in the gaps between the full tile. The problem is i couldn't afford to damage any tile that i remove or i wouldn't be able to finish it.

There is no grout so i cant get a razor knife in-between to cut through the dry wall and remove the tile with the drywall still attached to the tile then scrape it off. I guess if i remove the soapstone backsplash i could try to work something up behind the four half tile and get them off of the drywall.then patch in and re install the tile.

thanks for the reply.............nicko

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
use a piece of copper flashing or copper sheet, bend it on a brake to get that top edge and glue it to a piece of 1/4" plywood, polish it to match tiles

I have been doing that in stainless a lot this year for the exact same reason

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
Do you have a straight bottom edge to work with? How about using the leftovers to run a line of rectangles across the bottom? Not ideal, but worth considering.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a straight bottom edge to work with? How about using the leftovers to run a line of rectangles across the bottom? Not ideal, but worth considering.
Thanks Mark.
I think i am going to try to put the new range in today. The range in the picture is the old one. I am going to try to remove the bottom four half tile and put the the four full tile in there place. Then use the ones i remove to fill back in. In my post i said it was about fourteen years ago but after i thought about it is more like twenty years ago. I remember that my tile supplier told me to use epoxy to install the resin backed tile so i did and it will probably be hard to get off.
If it all goes south I'm just going to remove it all and install something new. Although i like the copper tile so i hope i can get it done.

Thanks...nicko

1 - 6 of 6 Posts