Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased a contemporary house almost 2 years ago. It has 2x8 framing for rafters with cathedral ceilings everywhere. The problem is we only have r-19 insulation. I am looking for a way to add as much r value as possible without removing the drywall.

First solution would be: to tear of sheathing and have a company intall spray foam insulation, very expensive.

Second solution: leave the sheathing on and install 2-3 inch foamboard, with new layer of 7/16" osb and roofing material over that.

My question is has anyone ever encountered anything like this, if so what is the best solution?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main thing that I am worried about is ventilation. Do you think that I will have to vent agian. There is a void between the insulation and the sheathing, with vents in the soffit and on the ridges.

·
Sean
5,496 Posts
Building science website, Fine Home Building (they ran an article a way back), search on my name for Closed Cell foam - that will give you at least 4 threads on this subject just in here

FYI - everyone in life is looking for answers - if the title was "cathedral ceiling venting / insulation ???" or something similar you would have probably gotten a better response

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry dude, but I am not so familiar with the website forum edicate. I was reluctant to even ask a question on here for fear of feeling like an ass, oh well.

You know what everytime that I have ever posted on a forum there has always been some ******* who obviosly has more time that I do to hang out on the internet and be the master of this here universe.

I just figured that I would get some opinions on here, I guess not.

Late.......

·
Sean
5,496 Posts
Jay - there is simply not enough info in your post & you hit one subject that requires you to do some major research. I was simply pointing you to a good starting point & also trying to help you out on future postings.

If you feel the need to call others names for your lack of knowledge & ability to listen, learn or think - go right ahead... I will just forewarn you - that is frowned on in on most forums and civilized places on this planet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok it seems that everyone is agreeing on SIP's. If I am not mistaken isn't a SIP basically a foam core sandwiched between two types of skin, i.e. o.s.b. If that is the case what would be different if I already have o.s.b. after I strip the roof, install foam board, and cover with o.s.b., would that not be a homade SIP? Or is there some other reason why I should not do this?

There is still the ventilation question. Which would have to be addressed, or not, even if I did use SIP's. Do you think venting would be an issue???

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
How bout adding furring strips say 2" and fill in between with 2 inch foam to the underside of drywall and then hang a new ceiling

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Building science website, Fine Home Building (they ran an article a way back), search on my name for Closed Cell foam - that will give you at least 4 threads on this subject just in here

FYI - everyone in life is looking for answers - if the title was "cathedral ceiling venting / insulation ???" or something similar you would have probably gotten a better response
Jay - there is simply not enough info in your post & you hit one subject that requires you to do some major research. I was simply pointing you to a good starting point & also trying to help you out on future postings.

If you feel the need to call others names for your lack of knowledge & ability to listen, learn or think - go right ahead... I will just forewarn you - that is frowned on in on most forums and civilized places on this planet
Well, I will have to appologize to you for flying off the handle and calling you names, I was in a bad mood.

I will keep your instruction in mind next time I post.

I hope that you will forgive me:cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How bout adding furring strips say 2" and fill in between with 2 inch foam to the underside of drywall and then hang a new ceiling
Are you saying that because of ventilation? because I need to install a new roof anyways.

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
No I was just tryin to save u money. Didnt know u needed a new roof. You know r 19 isnt the end of the world. Some people would be lucky tio have that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I was just tryin to save u money. Didnt know u needed a new roof. You know r 19 isnt the end of the world. Some people would be lucky tio have that
I hear you, but I have cathedral ceilings that go all the way up to 30ft. A lot of heat gets through it in the winter. I'm sure alot gets through in the summer the opposite way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts