Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My husband and I have been doing tiling, finishing work for ourselves, friends and family. This all has worked its way into us starting up as a business due to referrals. We are excited about it though are completely green as far as how to do quotes (format, what to include, pricing...). We were asked to write up a proposal for an apartment complex that is going up. I have searched at length on the internet for some clue and have found none. I was so happy to have found this site and have read postings at length and printed them out to spend time learning. You all have already been such a help! Who better to ask than the experts! In all of the weight of everything going on this time of year, your humor has been wonderful!

We are starting from ground level and are hoping to buy a new computer system and some estimating software soon. Without that right now, I am asking you all for help! What would a "proposal" include? What is the best way to write up an estimate? I have seen that there are many different ways of doing it! Anything would be helpful!

Thanks! Deb

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Ignoring specifically what you need to include, just be sure you include enough details so you don't end up screwing yourself.

Saying in a quote "Tiling bathroom: 30 sq feet @ $10.00 a square foot" can get you into a lot of trouble. If you were thinking that rate is for a simple grid pattern and the customer was thinking they want it layed on the diagonal you got a problem in pricing.

Make sure you specify minimum and maximum tile sizes. 12x12 tile is easier and therefore cheaper than doing 1x1 mosiacs or 24x24 inch tile. Doing granite tile vs ceramic should be priced differently. Glass mosiac vs 1x1 creamic should be priced differently. Is sealing included in your price? Underlayments need to be specified.

Detail your quote as much as you can and you will avoid problems later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts