Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HTML:
Built a few basic decks in my time, but none for the past 10-12 years. Looking for a little advice and information. Planning on re-decking my deck, the PT looks like ass and I despise maintenance, and the whole deck is shakey as all get out. The joist aren't even attached to the beams and the stringers are just toenailed to the face of the band. The stairs are separating. Basically re decking and correcting the framing issues. See pics below for reference.

I have read many, many, many of the composite vs capped vs PVC threads and I think I've decided on the Fiberon Horizon. I've posted below a quick sketchup of what I plan to do with the picture frame and field. Outer frame will most likely be rosewood, and inner will be greystone. I realize there will be a lot of reframing around the perimeter to accomplish this. Planning on doubling the rim and the joist at the transition, then hanging headers between the two. Might have to get a little creative on the 45* corners for support of the mitre. Anyone see any major issue with what I am planning?

My other question is regarding the capped composite. From the pics I can find on google,the rosewood has a grayish center. What do you guys do at the mitres? I was planning on using a hidden fastener and spacing the same as the side gaps on the rest of the deck, but not sure if that gray center will be visible. Do you guys butt the mitres tight? Just not sure what to do there, might be a non issue but I do tend to over think things a bit. Any input from the experts would be greatly appreciated!
Pics below for reference.

Existing framing

Joist to beam non-connection

Sinking stair

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Butt the miters tight, they'll shrink a little in comer weather but not horrible.

Personally I'd ditch the wood frame for a steel frame, but that's just me.
Thanks for the input, on the mitres. So no issue with seeing the center of the composite once they shrink?

And steel frame would certainly be my choice if the budget allowed. Spent 12 years in commercial construction, everything was steel framed. I love the stuff!

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's a nice looking deck you did there Johnny-5:thumbsup:
:no: Don't associate my name with this piece of crap! Inherited this deck, came with the house. Drives me nuts every day with the shaking and nothing is straight, the cuts suck, the stairs are falling down....anyway, I can't wait to get it redone to my standards. I'll make sure I post pics along the way for all you pic whores out there! :clap:

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's what i get for tryin to be nice.:laughing:
Lol, sorry bud, wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic. Deck is nice from about 30' away.....:laughing:

It'll be even nicer once I'm done with it though! :thumbup:

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
Im with Redwood on this, all those Border pieces are going to add a tremendous amount of work and IMO looks a little odd.

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a question, why such a large border. That's a lot of work and I don't see the benefit. 2 or 3 boards is enough to give a nice appearance.
Im with Redwood on this, all those Border pieces are going to add a tremendous amount of work and IMO looks a little odd.
The main reason for the large border is to keep the length of the longest field board to under 20'. Currently it'll be about 17'6" +/- so I could drop a couple boards off of it. Just trying to avoid end butts, and I don't like the idea of a random perpendicular board to break it up. I also wanted to accent the angles of the perimeter a little more than just a couple boards wide. Maybe I went a bit overboard...lol.

Sound advice though, maybe I'll minimize that border as much as possible, I think I could pull 2 boards off it and still be just under 20' at longest point in the field.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I agree the boarder is to big.

Just throwing this out there. You want want to consider doing a totally different design pattern with your decking. Google some pics. You could do a total original design, use different color materials, whatever. Make a one of a kind deck.

Just a thought.

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
The main reason for the large border is to keep the length of the longest field board to under 20'. Currently it'll be about 17'6" +/- so I could drop a couple boards off of it. Just trying to avoid end butts, and I don't like the idea of a random perpendicular board to break it up. I also wanted to accent the angles of the perimeter a little more than just a couple boards wide. Maybe I went a bit overboard...lol.

Sound advice though, maybe I'll minimize that border as much as possible, I think I could pull 2 boards off it and still be just under 20' at longest point in the field.
I would just use a seam board. Up the middle

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It's most likely shaky because there no braces on the support posts.

Before you pull it down, take some 3' lengths of scrap 2 x 4 and screw them to the base of the posts and then 45 degrees up to the side of a joist. Even if you tear it down five minutes later, it will be a good learning experience in stiffening a deck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts