Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Super Moderator
If insurance gets involved they will be going on book value and local sales value, they dont care about lawyers they have loads of them. His lawyers fees are going to come out of his pocket. This is not like a person was injured, this is an object that they can easily determine value by insurance standards. Every company follows the same procedures.

What happened at the dealer is no different than someone going through a red light and hitting your car. And its treated the same way
Agreed, but depending on the area hes in word of mouth is a big deal for dealerships here. "Well I think I'll just holler at the Highlander and see if Brandon wants to write an article about misplaced trust" etc... knowing you'll be vocal if if its not a big deal they will fix id bet. Probably talking a couple grand here

A tire place in the town over had a wheel come off and insurance offered a pittance. Unfortunately for them she was Eastern Star, First Baptist debutante, her son was the starting tail back and she was on the booster club (big deal in this part of Texas) and before long I heard he made a better deal. 馃槅

Reactions: KAP

Super Moderator
Just try to be fair on your end and make sure you don't get f'd. If your getting a lot more truck and a lot less miles I would expect to pay the difference personally. Chit happens, and i don't want that evil karma juju coming back on me because the house game is likely to be a worse hit to the pocket book for me 馃槅

Super Moderator
My truck was backed into by a neigbor of the house I was working at. We called his insurance agent and he was going to put me in a Honda Civic. I explained to him I needed him to put me in an equivalent vehicle to be able to continue to earn a living. He said tough.

I got to the body shop a couple hours later, and they informed me that state law requires that insurance company to put me in an eqiuvalent vehicle. They called that agent and reminded him of that and he acquiesed. He had to rent a diesel truck from a commercial outfit that was suitable for pulling my trailers. He was not happy, and continually called me to tell me that I'd had it long enough and it was time to return it. I said, "when my truck is repaired I'll be glad to return this one, otherwise, leave me alone"

Maybe your state laws are the same? Ask around at a body shop, or your insurance provider.
馃槅 馃ぃ dude I would lose it. I am pretty calm with this kind of stuff but if an adjuster called me and said I'd had that truck long enough and my truck wasn't done I'd be like you can bet he would need to go to confessional to feel pure again after my verbal assault strewn with insults and name calling 馃槅 That chit pisses me off

Id also be clear to tell him call that repair shop and tell them number 1) they better do a good job or they'll be redoing it, and you'll continue paying this truck 2) anyone coming onto personal property to retrieve will be smoked 馃槅 3) tell that repair shop to hurry their ass up before you lose your little Christmas bonus and to be glad I didn't demand a big ass screen and leather lol

My repair shop actually keeps a diesel to loan out when waiting on repairs, not sure if its a law here

Super Moderator
Hopefully that dealership GM read Customers for Life by Carl Sewell. He is definitely about selling you 7 vehicles over a lifetime not skipping dollars to keep nickels

Registered
Public issue would be bad for them
As far as afraid of a lawsuit, I know numerous people who went to court with insurance companies some won some lost I think only 1 did ok financially because you have to pay your lawyer

they certainly were not afraid of me when I threatened a lawsuit, check your policy where it specifies how disputes will be handled

Registered
I think that the biggest issue here is that it fell off the lift - it's not a typical accident.

Around here those lifts are highly regulated and frequently inspected. A truck falling off a lift is a massive safety issue.

The dealership doesn't need to be scared of lawyers or insurance agents. They should be scared of an OSHA visit.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Registered
I chose the body shop and they are the ones who informed me of the state law and my rights.

Conversations between me and the idiot adjuster, Herb Schlopper, got to the point where I told him I would no longer interact with him via phone conversation, as I wanted all communications with him to be in writing.

He is the only person I have ever called a "steaming pile of dog squeeze" via email.

dude I would lose it. I am pretty calm with this kind of stuff but if an adjuster called me and said I'd had that truck long enough and my truck wasn't done I'd be like you can bet he would need to go to confessional to feel pure again after my verbal assault strewn with insults and name calling That chit pisses me off

Id also be clear to tell him call that repair shop and tell them number 1) they better do a good job or they'll be redoing it, and you'll continue paying this truck 2) anyone coming onto personal property to retrieve will be smoked 3) tell that repair shop to hurry their ass up before you lose your little Christmas bonus and to be glad I didn't demand a big ass screen and leather lol

My repair shop actually keeps a diesel to loan out when waiting on repairs, not sure if its a law here
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Well I really appreciate all the reply's guys,

Spoke with insurance today and the assessor went out and took a look at everything and made their recommendations. My insurance is handling the situation for me but the dealership will still be making the repairs to the truck. However because they will be going after the dealerships insurance for the money they then can get me diminished value as well as compensation for lost wages. Additionally they are going to have their lawyers draft a letter holding the dealership liable if any issues crop up from the driveshaft damage.

This seemed like the best option, they weren't willing to play ball and make me a decent offer on a new truck. Offering me a lowball 41.5k trade in plus 4k off a new truck just didn't seem like they were putting effort into making me whole. I don't think I am going to contact the reporter any further as the situation seems some what resolved. I certainly didn't get what I wanted but in the end Ill take whatever they pay out and use that to pay down the truck loan. No surprise but I will never be purchasing or having service done by this dealer ever again.

Artist and not a curator
Write an honest review. I'm telling you, it makes a massive difference. Give 2 stars instead of 1 if you really want to not get them to pay attention but do maximum public damage.

I normally don't advocate for that but this dealership seems like exclusive pieces of sbit that are deserving.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts