Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As the title states took my truck in for service at the dealership and they improperly positioned it on the lift and it lost balance which caused it to drop and shift. The lift arms came into contact with the truck and bent up both running boards and caused damage to the cab.

Additionally they never checked the truck after lowering it back down and unbeknownst to them they had bent the drive shaft which subsequently tore itself in half when they drove it out of the shop. I still don't know how far or hard it fell but a quick look at things showed the frame could have been minorly tweaked and there damage to a bunch of different things underneath from the driveshaft tearing apart.

They owned up to the the whole thing, however I am looking for advice if anyone else has gone through this before. I have a bunch of concerns about having the truck repaired and then having issues down the road. I kind of feel that since now the truck is depreciated and possibly unreliable they should help me get into something new.

I have a meeting with the manager tomorrow morning to go over the damage and hopefully options for replacement but was looking for advice or opinions. Obviously this is a huge inconvenience for my business and plan to make it very clear that this is impacting my income.

For reference the truck is a 2017 Chevy 3500 duramax with 90000 miles on it. No accidents, regular maintenance preformed and taken care of with the minor scratch here and there.

As always thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Take plenty of pics & record your meeting w/the manager or better yet have the attorney contact him. That will get his attention

Mike

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I feel in no way qualified to offer any suggestion on how to proceed. If i was in this situation and did not like what I was hearing in tomorrow’s meeting I would simply state i am getting a lawyer.
I would have to accept what the vehicle is accurately worth and then loss of use etc. Also can I get by in the short term without it.
It sucks, I hope they will do the right thing for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picture 233 ... does that mark show they put the lift pad under the running board?
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, that's sure what it looked like to me. Lucky no one was killed or hurt.

I did speak to a lawyer who said to involve my insurance agency if they are not going to take care of it properly. Im giving them one shot at taking care of this and making it right otherwise my plan is to get the lawyer or insurance involved.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Don't get your hope up especially on getting a new truck, I know 2 people whose vehicles was damaged at the dealer. The dealers insurance company handles the whole thing, depreciation played a big part of it. By chance did you happen to read their insurance policy before hand? The teeny tiny paper that is stuck on the wall in some obscure place. One fixed their 2 year old car but she had to pay deductible other one a Corvette where brake fluid dripped on the paint they gave a check for $900 for a new paint job on a 15 year old car.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, that's sure what it looked like to me. Lucky no one was killed or hurt.

I did speak to a lawyer who said to involve my insurance agency if they are not going to take care of it properly. Im giving them one shot at taking care of this and making it right otherwise my plan is to get the lawyer or insurance involved.
You will have to get insurance involved anyway from what I know in NJ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have to get insurance involved anyway from what I know in NJ.
Im not sure about in CT, I called and they told me that it falls under the dealers insurance and they only will get involved if I request it. But since the dealer so far has stated they will take care of things the insurance company said to let the situation develop and see how they take care of it.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Wait until you see how they value the truck, they find same year and same mileage trucks which sold or are selling in the area ( 40 miles as the crow flies from your house) that tale 8 or 10 of those and average the price. If you dont like what they say you have to hire an appraiser to value it and then they raise their offer a little.

Hopefully the dealer will just offer to fix it correctly and give you a loaner in the meantime

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I would want the doors fixed running boards replaced new driveshaft output shaft and they need to give you a warrantee for at least a year on the work performed.

lawyers and lawsuits are very expensive, good luck!

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Im not sure about in CT, I called and they told me that it falls under the dealers insurance and they only will get involved if I request it. But since the dealer so far has stated they will take care of things the insurance company said to let the situation develop and see how they take care of it.
sounds like a good plan and hopefully the dealer does the right thing, the insurance companies many times dont

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like a good plan and hopefully the dealer does the right thing, the insurance companies many times dont
More of my point to them is that not having my truck with racks and boxes is a huge inconvenience and is going to slow work down or make things difficult. Obviously there are ways to overcome all of this but the point is they are hurting my livelihood.

I have an equinox as a loaner for now lol

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Get on YT and study up on this subject. Most of the vids are independent prof shops, nice guys who will take your calls they say. So much muck in the industry, they sort it out. My understanding is the ins co. will pay for the post collision inspection and make corrections if needed. I think you let the adj and repair shop know in advance you will be having it done.

What is a post repair inspection?
A post-repair inspection is an evaluation performed by a qualified third-party, in which they examine the quality of the repairs that have been performed after a car accident.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get on YT and study up on this subject. Most of the vids are independent prof shops, nice guys who will take your calls they say. So much muck in the industry, they sort it out. My understanding is the ins co. will pay for the post collision inspection and make corrections if needed. I think you let the adj and repair shop know in advance you will be having it done.

What is a post repair inspection?
A post-repair inspection is an evaluation performed by a qualified third-party, in which they examine the quality of the repairs that have been performed after a car accident.
Interesting, I will definitely look into that.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
My main concern would be the drive shift and what it was connected to. That's a big hit to do that. That damage to the body is also pretty major.

I would expect all new rocker panels at a minimum.

I had a dealers car wash guy turn my 24,000 mile new to me truck into a parked car on thier lot.

It crushed the right bed fender panel.

They replaced the panel, but it hasn't been the same since. Tail gate doesn't close right and the pin striping is pealling off. Then the tail light reveals are off.. Besides the fact that hand sprayed paint never looks the same as factory paint.

It looks fine, but the functionality has never been right again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts