Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my story. My dad has a 20 oz craftsman with a 16 inch fiberglass handle and he really loves it. I really love it too. its about 20 year old, it still hammers fine but the handle looks weaker and thinner from the years of use.

My dad was disappointed to not being able to find a hammer with a 16 inch fiberglass handle to replace it. for some reason they are really hard to find in quebec or maybe I didn't look everywhere yet. Anyway, I thought surely it still existed, that's when I bought him a 21 oz Vaughn bluemax with a fiberglass handle. he really like it too but the head came off the handle within the first 6 months of use.

In the meantime I bought myself a ti-tech 16 oz with a fiberglass handle. which was wonderful until the replaceable head became loose after a few days of use and then when the whole thing came off the handle after 3 months or so. I sent it back for the warranty and eventually got a new one. The head is still on the handle of that one but the replaceable head is not only loose, but it moves in 4 different direction ever since I used it to hammer some 8 inch nails. I could sent it back for a new one but I don't really feel like paying 37$ for another crappy experience.

Anyway before this post becomes too long. I got my dad a 20 oz 16 inch fiberglass handle Vaughn 999 (which looks identical to his craftsman) and its been great. I got myself a 16 oz and a 25 oz both of which have been great and solid. But I miss the magnetic nail start that I found myself using often to pick stuff up in tight places. I also saw that many people here use wood handles so I got myself a bluemax 19 oz with a wood handle and it broke after 10 hours when I tried to pull a 3 inch nail with it.

So now that the context is set, I want a hammer that's lighter than my 25 oz, has magnetic nail start, will be reliable for many years w/o being hard on my elbow.

Im also wondering how long do your wood handles last or how many you go through in a year because to me 10 hours is unacceptable. Because I could get a replacement handle for my brand new bluemax or send my ti-tech for a replacement.

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Only thing I have to say is use the right tool for the job, If it was me I would of used a 3lb mallet for the 8" spike and a crow bar for the 3" nail if it wasn't moving with the hammer.

ETA: You list yourself as a finish carpenter so why are you using timber framing fasteners?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was building huge crates for another company last winter. We do a bit of everything inckuding framing. But we specialize in finishing.

For the crates we did have a 4lb and 8 lbs maces around but I hammered a few.

As for the 3inch nail. It was juste to move a brace around. I didnt want to go get the crow bar for just 2 nails. Perpahps wood handles are just not for me but I need to be able to remove nails with the claws

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Pako said:
I was building huge crates for another company last winter. We do a bit of everything inckuding framing. But we specialize in finishing. For the crates we did have a 4lb and 8 lbs maces around but I hammered a few. As for the 3inch nail. It was juste to move a brace around. I didnt want to go get the crow bar for just 2 nails. Perpahps wood handles are just not for me but I need to be able to remove nails with the claws
Upgrade to a t-bone.

I had a wood handle before bc I thought it would be easier on my carpel. The t-bone has be way better for it and it's only 15oz

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats a shame you have had some issues with some of your vaughans , for me I have had no issue at all with my vaughans . I really like the 19 oz curved handle (no magnet) and i have used it to strip concrete forms and pull nails all the time with no issues . How did you like the swing on the 19 oz blue max ?

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I never cared much for wood handled hammers myself either.

Ever try an Estwing?

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I've always liked Estwing. Their 20 oz smooth face straight claw is my go to for practically everything. I've got a 16 oz straight claw that is really nice for exterior trim. Picked up the little baby 12 oz with the leather disc handle at a yard sale for $5. I use it a lot as well, great for small finish nails.

I know this is Stiletto country but Estwing makes a top notch product in my books.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hardcore hammer, 19oz with top and bottom magnetic nail starter.

I use a 32oz vaughan for work but if Im actually nailing stuff I use the 19oz.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The Vaughn and the Craftsman are the same hammer. They are made in Bushnell, Illinois. I have only used the 20oz, 16" fiberglass handle. Ever.
I don't have a recommendation for you.

Helpful post huh?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did like the swing of the 19 oz bluemax but the handle was so light it didnt always want to stay in my diamondbacks hammer loops. I guess a reular hammer holder would be fine tho.

I tried an estwing 22 oz with a steel handle when I started. My elbow quickly started to hurt but it couldve been due to my lack of experience at the time.

Im considering going for the lightweight all steel hammers and use the 25 oz whenever I need to nail alot

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've snapped 2 crappy "wood" handle husky hammers, but I'm yet to snap a hickory handle. if I'm pulling a stubborn nail, I put the nail as deep in the claws as possible and roll the handle sideways. or grab a piece of scrap 2x to put under the head for leverage.

·
Super Moderator
28,875 Posts
I've always liked Estwing. Their 20 oz smooth face straight claw is my go to for practically everything. I've got a 16 oz straight claw that is really nice for exterior trim. Picked up the little baby 12 oz with the leather disc handle at a yard sale for $5. I use it a lot as well, great for small finish nails.

I know this is Stiletto country but Estwing makes a top notch product in my books.
I am a convert. Always liked my Estwing, still use one for trim and cornice.

Tibone is a damn good hammer, and I choose it over the Estwing for framing and forming. But I do think the 22 oz Estwing hits a bit harder, definitely when moving or adjusting something.

·
GC/carpenter
43,907 Posts
The curved was important when I was stacking or doing fascia but I hate the way it gets hung up when I'm going for a quick draw. It's really probably because I've gotten used to the straight

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts