Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some money from Christmas and wanted to get myself a tool kit for the house. It seems I never have the right tools around here when I need them. Always going to the shop to get something. I'd like a small collection of tools, preferably in a nice box that could allow me to do most everything dealing with normal maintenance around the typical home.

Looking for a kit that has sockets, wrenches, plyers, screwdrivers which could be just screw bits and a driver, maybe some small electrical tools like dikes, strippers and such. A kit with a little bit of everything. I've found most of them are missing some major tool group. Like I find it with sockets and wrenches but no pliers or *****.

Oh and of course I'd like to keep it below $200. Don't really need high quality as they won't be used that much, just need them to be there when I need them.

Anybody find anything nice and complete at a HO price range :whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
At this point in your life you should have so much of that **** already that you can throw what you need in a toolbox and put it inside the house.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take care of my tools. I don't have many duplicates, I don't need them, I'm only one guy.

And I'm a woodworker. I don't normally use socket wrenches, pliers and other more mechanical tools.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,007 Posts
This is a tough one Leo....

Go to a hardware store, big box store or Sears store.
Buy the tools you think you need.
Buy a toolbox to put them into.

Put them in a place the wife can find them...voila.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More like go to harbor freight and do the same. Like I said. These will be used very infrequently. I could nickname them gas saving tools. Because I wouldn't have to burn gas in my truck to go get them everytime I needed a wrench or a pair of pliers.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,007 Posts
More like go to harbor freight and do the same. Like I said. These will be used very infrequently. I could nickname them gas saving tools. Because I wouldn't have to burn gas in my truck to go get them everytime I needed a wrench or a pair of pliers.
Have a little pride...

After all, these are tools we are talking about.

The first time your HF tool breaks on a cold, wet Saturday night at 11 PM...you'll wish you hadn't been so tight.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,007 Posts
Wow I'm a tool hoarder, bring a 5 gallon pail to my house and take what ya need.
Just what I was thinking.

I could probably make up 4-5 household toolboxes.

I got everything my Father had and he was the original tool junky. I try to keep the tradition going.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a little pride...

After all, these are tools we are talking about.

The first time your HF tool breaks on a cold, wet Saturday night at 11 PM...you'll wish you hadn't been so tight.
I don't have no pride when it comes to simple hardly used tools. If I plan on using a tool for my business then I buy nice tools. For this toolkit I don't need a good tool. I barely will use them. Probably pick up the toolkit 3 times a year.

If I want a nice tool I'll go to the shop and get it.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,007 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,603 Posts