Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you HVAC guys.

I am a low voltage guy (of sorts) that is working on a home automation project. Customer wants to have control of his T-stat through his Z-wave network.

The current T-stat is a Honeywell "Dual Fuel". This needs to be replaced and I am having quite a challenge trying to find a T-stat with Z-wave built in that does the "Duel Fuel" with a outside remote sensor.

Anyone in here know of or can recommend a Mfg. and Model that will do the job??

BTW if you have no clue what Z-Wave is or can do. It is the latest communication protocol to link devices that can be controlled remotely via a web page or a app on a smart phone. It is like "beam me up Scotty" stuff. :whistling

Thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Les

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hey all you HVAC guys.

I am a low voltage guy (of sorts) that is working on a home automation project. Customer wants to have control of his T-stat through his Z-wave network.

The current T-stat is a Honeywell "Dual Fuel". This needs to be replaced and I am having quite a challenge trying to find a T-stat with Z-wave built in that does the "Duel Fuel" with a outside remote sensor.

Anyone in here know of or can recommend a Mfg. and Model that will do the job??

BTW if you have no clue what Z-Wave is or can do. It is the latest communication protocol to link devices that can be controlled remotely via a web page or a app on a smart phone. It is like "beam me up Scotty" stuff. :whistling

Thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Les
Z-Wave isn't the latest, and not all Z-wave devices are compatible, the first question is what control system is he using?

But to answer your question the HAI RC-2000 thermostat will do dual fuel.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well maybe the Z-wave is not exactly the latest but it is moving rather rapidly. Also if a device has the Z-wave logo on it, it is to be compatible. And it should not be confused with Zigby protocol.

Never the less, in looking at the manual for the HAI Omni 2000 here.

http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Products/Omnistat/RC-2000_Installation_Manual.pdf

Yes this T-Stat is dual fuel but that is about where it stops. When doing a search of the .pdf the word Z-Wave, Zwave, or even wave do not come up. So at this point based on this manual this device is not Z-Wave compatible.

Is there another version of this T-Stat that I should be looking at???

Customer has a Security Panel with a wireless cellular communicator, that has a z-wave module attached. Control will be mainly through his iPhone app.

Thanks in advance and have a good rest of the weekend.

Les

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well maybe the Z-wave is not exactly the latest but it is moving rather rapidly. Also if a device has the Z-wave logo on it, it is to be compatible. And it should not be confused with Zigby protocol.

Never the less, in looking at the manual for the HAI Omni 2000 here.

http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Products/Omnistat/RC-2000_Installation_Manual.pdf

Yes this T-Stat is dual fuel but that is about where it stops. When doing a search of the .pdf the word Z-Wave, Zwave, or even wave do not come up. So at this point based on this manual this device is not Z-Wave compatible.

Is there another version of this T-Stat that I should be looking at???

Customer has a Security Panel with a wireless cellular communicator, that has a z-wave module attached. Control will be mainly through his iPhone app.

Thanks in advance and have a good rest of the weekend.

Les
Is the panel a Honeywell Tuxedo Touch?

If so they have a compatibility chart for their Zwave devices, the Honeywell ZWSTAT will do a heatpump with auxiliary heat but I don't think it does outdoor temp moniroting for heatpump bypass....just change in time and temp rollover.

Post the heating system and the alarm system and I can help ya...other than that I'm pissing in the wind.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Not familiar with the z wave setup, or any of the latest smart stats. But, if I had a customer that wanted to go that route, I would first go with Honeywell, as they seem to have the biggest presence around here with the "internet stats"

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Inner10,

This post may get a bit long so while you are doing your thing in the wind please understand that I have been searching for the right Stat for about a week now.

The system is a Networx NX8E and will be using the Alarm.com communicator. Already installed and working. The T-Stat will be another add on. Presently there are 3 Stats in the house. Two of them are just simple Heat on Heat off. The third is the one that is the challenge. This current Stat is a Honeywell with Remote Sensor. I don't have the model # but it is pictured.

The text below is from my customer that explains the system's quite well. I have had a conversation last week with his HVAC guy. I had printed out the manuals for about 6 different Stat's in the hope we could find the right one. We finally settled on one mainly because it listed that it could have a Remote Sensor installed. Turns out that was a sensor just for display of the outside temp not that it could use it to control anything, and then I found out it was a discontinued item.

Read the below and then tell me what your thoughts are. I just want to REPLACE what is there with a stat that will do Z-Wave. I don't want to get into re-inventing his whole system. Also would really like to have all the Stats have the same look and feel to make it simple. Presently he has three different models.

===================================================
The red portion is what may be most important.
The heating system is complicated, so here it goes:

The old side of the house: Forced air gas/electric furnace. Outside Temps above 30 utilize electric heat, temps below 30 utilize gas heat. Air conditioning as well.The new side of the house: Radiant floor heating with gas boiler. Two zones on separate thermostat, upstairs and downstairs. Central air, one zone controlled by downstairs thermostat only.

Both sides of the house receive supplemental heat from the outdoor wood furnace. The new side of the house automatically overrides the gas boiler when the temperature of the water from the outdoor furnace is above 120F. The old side of the house is a bizarre set up. There is a big heat exchanger that looks like a car radiator in the air handler. The hot water from the outdoor furnace flows through the heat exchanger so that anytime air is flowing across it, it is heated. So in the winter, I usually just run the “Fan” setting because that alone will heat the house. If I’m away, or don’t want to run the outdoor furnace, is the only time I use the heat setting, again, only on the old side of the house. I have a third zone available on the radiant system, so I am thinking about setting up a third zone on the radiant floor heating on the old side of the house since that system is so much more efficient than the forced air, but that would not heat the upstairs. Nevertheless, it might be a good way to set the whole house at a low temp while we are away for long periods of time.

The attic, central air and electric heat…I do not plan on putting this system on the security system. After Gustavo moves out, we will not use this system much.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Les

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ok Inner10,

This post may get a bit long so while you are doing your thing in the wind please understand that I have been searching for the right Stat for about a week now.

The system is a Networx NX8E and will be using the Alarm.com communicator. Already installed and working. The T-Stat will be another add on. Presently there are 3 Stats in the house. Two of them are just simple Heat on Heat off. The third is the one that is the challenge. This current Stat is a Honeywell with Remote Sensor. I don't have the model # but it is pictured.

The text below is from my customer that explains the system's quite well. I have had a conversation last week with his HVAC guy. I had printed out the manuals for about 6 different Stat's in the hope we could find the right one. We finally settled on one mainly because it listed that it could have a Remote Sensor installed. Turns out that was a sensor just for display of the outside temp not that it could use it to control anything, and then I found out it was a discontinued item.

Read the below and then tell me what your thoughts are. I just want to REPLACE what is there with a stat that will do Z-Wave. I don't want to get into re-inventing his whole system. Also would really like to have all the Stats have the same look and feel to make it simple. Presently he has three different models.

The red portion is what may be most important.
The heating system is complicated, so here it goes:

The old side of the house: Forced air gas/electric furnace. Outside Temps above 30 utilize electric heat, temps below 30 utilize gas heat. Air conditioning as well.The new side of the house: Radiant floor heating with gas boiler. Two zones on separate thermostat, upstairs and downstairs. Central air, one zone controlled by downstairs thermostat only.

Both sides of the house receive supplemental heat from the outdoor wood furnace. The new side of the house automatically overrides the gas boiler when the temperature of the water from the outdoor furnace is above 120F. The old side of the house is a bizarre set up. There is a big heat exchanger that looks like a car radiator in the air handler. The hot water from the outdoor furnace flows through the heat exchanger so that anytime air is flowing across it, it is heated. So in the winter, I usually just run the “Fan” setting because that alone will heat the house. If I’m away, or don’t want to run the outdoor furnace, is the only time I use the heat setting, again, only on the old side of the house. I have a third zone available on the radiant system, so I am thinking about setting up a third zone on the radiant floor heating on the old side of the house since that system is so much more efficient than the forced air, but that would not heat the upstairs. Nevertheless, it might be a good way to set the whole house at a low temp while we are away for long periods of time.

The attic, central air and electric heat…I do not plan on putting this system on the security system. After Gustavo moves out, we will not use this system much.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Les
Les if the pictures at the bottom are of the old tstat I believe the Honeywell zwave is identical but with a zwave daughterboard.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inner10,

Yes those are pictures of the existing Tstat. Could you come up with a Honeywell model number for me to look at. From what I have found a lot of Tstat's look alike but have very different innards.

Thanks,

Les

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Inner10,

Yes those are pictures of the existing Tstat. Could you come up with a Honeywell model number for me to look at. From what I have found a lot of Tstat's look alike but have very different innards.

Thanks,

Les
The outdoor temp sensor is the one that is tricky, most basic stats don't allow you to use outside temp to engage AUX heat, most just use timers.

The stat is Honeywell ZWSTAT which is a TH8320ZW1000 with a Zigbee Bridge 5800ZBRIDGE.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My brain sees Z and it thinks Zigbee be default. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, that makes sense. :whistling

However it does not do the outdoor sensor or even remote sensor for dual fuel.

I am at the end of my rope and need to come up with a different plan.

Thanks for the help.

Les

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. :whistling

However it does not do the outdoor sensor or even remote sensor for dual fuel.

I am at the end of my rope and need to come up with a different plan.

Thanks for the help.

Les
That I don't know sir I will check tonight after work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts