Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,798 Posts
If they are all the same and standard doors just make one. Take a 1/2" pc of plywood and cut rectangles into it the size of your hinges. Put a couple of blocks on it as stops that you use to align the jig and to clamp it to the door. Get a pattern router bit (top bearing) with a 5/8" diameter and you have yourself a nice useful jig. I've made a few of them for different size hinges. You only have to make them once. I make all of mine so I align the top of the jig to the door and it makes a 3/32" gap between the top of the door and the jamb.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,798 Posts

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
I use the porter cable set up. its worked great. have had it for about 10 years now. no problems.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I use the porter cable set up. its worked great. have had it for about 10 years now. no problems.
The cheap plastic one? I have the same one, actually on my third. Only reason I have had to replace them is because I stepped on them they cracked. I think it is around $25 or $30 at HD, never had a single issue with it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The cheap plastic one? I have the same one, actually on my third. Only reason I have had to replace them is because I stepped on them they cracked. I think it is around $25 or $30 at HD, never had a single issue with it.
If you use the P.C. plastic one make sure the bearing on the router bit spins freely, else you'll melt your way into the jig. The better systems allow you to work more efficiently and are less prone to mistakes. More expensive of course.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
I have the Bosch hinge temple system, it works very well. If you go square corners, you should get a corner chisel also.

Tom

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you use the P.C. plastic one make sure the bearing on the router bit spins freely, else you'll melt your way into the jig. The better systems allow you to work more efficiently and are less prone to mistakes. More expensive of course.
Good point, I actually bought a Freud bit for mine and keep the PC as a back up. I may do a few doors at a time, typically its just a replacement front door or an interior door some angry teen put his fist through. If I was installing slabs all the time I would certainly spring for a better set up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts