Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe how many places I have looked for a 5 foot fiberglass ladder. Does ANYBODY know where to get one? Furthermore, why aren't there any readily available? I can only guess that OSHA has something to do with it. (People would be tempted to step on the upper rungs?)

The fact is this. My short bed pickup won't hold a 6 footer straight in the bed but it will hold a 5 footer. Enough said. I'm gonna go scream in my pillow now. :eek:
I really don't want to take a hacksaw and duct tape to my 6 footer but I fear I may be forced to take such drastic means.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If that is what you need, make it. Drill out the rivets, cut it down and reattach. I'm guessing about 1/2 hr.
Option #2. buy a bigger truck or a van. My vans can accept up to a 24' ladder, clean and dry too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm one of the few people that thinks the little giant is a BIG pain in the @$$. Yeah it's great in a pinch but I can't stand the way the rungs feel on the upper levels when it's extended. If you don't have steel soles in your boots your arches will pay the price if you are on it for any period of time.
I could use a 5 foot fiberglass "A" frame in about half of the situations I am in.
I'll keep the bigger ladders on top of my truck.

I can't believe you see 5'rs at HD all the time! I guess I'm walking around with blinders on. I will definitely look again and if not, I'll check out Bird Ladder as you suggested.

Teetorbuilt, I'll get a new truck soon enough. The 5' ladder is my "quick fix" to a minor annoyance.

Grumpy said:
Little giant?

I see 5' at home depot all the time. Since you are in Chicago, try Bird Ladder. They sell every ladder you can think of and if they don't have it in stock they can usually get it for you within 48 hours.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
First off, no offense Teetor, but, I would NEVER alter a ladder. Let the factory do that. I have sent 'glass ladders back for repair and they do a great job for not too much $$.

Werner, Louisville, Bauer, and many others make a 5 footer. You will just have to order it. My local hardware store, excellent place, every town should have one, can order any ladder I want at great prices. Any good small chain type home center/lumber yard can do this. I would not put any faith in a bog box store.
I love my 4 footer. I have orderd them, but the last one I bought one place locally had it in stock and later I saw the in other places.

If your handle is any indication of your location I would be real surprised if one is not in stock somewhere local.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedy Petey said:
If your handle is any indication of your location I would be real surprised if one is not in stock somewhere local.
Yes my handle is an indication of my location not surprisingly. And yes, it does appear that I will be ordering a 5 footer because they just don't seem to be in stock anywhere.

Maybe I'm odd, but I wouldn't mind a 7 footer either. There are so many 9 foot foot ceilings out there that make an 8 footer just too tall, however when it comes to getting into the attic a six footer is too short for such a situation. In that case, you find yourself going back out to the truck for your 8' for the sole purpose of getting into and out of the attic. even though your 6 footer is fine for everything ceiling height and lower.

I can still yank myself up and down through an access hole while standing on top of a six footer (c'mon if your aren't 50 lbs overweight you know you've done it too) but it's always because I'm too lazy to go back out to put on my boots, go out to the truck unhook the ladder, clean it off,....you get the idea. If I had a 7 footer, (even though it won't fit inside my truck)
I would use it as often as my 8.

That's it, I'm officially lobbying to get retailers to start offering 5 and 7 foot ladders.
2,4,6,8 these I don't appreciate.
5,7,9,11 don't have them but they'd be great!

Our obsession with even numberedness is slowing me down!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Speedy, I come from a long line of inventors. If we can't find what we want, we make it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts