Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you do when you need quality help every once and awhile? I know there's no way in hell you post on CL that you need a reliable, honest, experenced......guy for a day or 2....or do you?? (TAKE NOTE) I do know a couple of guys that would be able to help but I think they might take advantage of the community I'm working in(Del Web) and get in on the action out there. Is it best to look for a young kid that you can mould or what, and where do you look??????

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I used to use firemen. The schedule they have here is something like 48hrs on 48hrs off. Most of them had the basic tools and then some. In fact the plumbing contractor we use is a Chief fireman.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If I just need some bodies I go to Express Personnel and hire a few laborers.

If I need skilled landscapers I network with other contractors. There's a bigger firm in Lewiston and I can "rent" a 4 man crew for $700/day with enough notice. Basically he subs a crew to me for a day or two. I use them for more elaborate retaining walls and water features. I have a similar arrangement with a contractor in Colfax when I'm working on a big project up that way.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,805 Posts
Are you mainly looking for a helper/laborer, or someone skilled?

Dependable and skilled will be hard to find, and harder to keep, if you can't keep them busy. Still, there are exceptions to every rule.

A firefighter would be excellent (in my area, it's 24 on, 48 off--my wife is a FF).

It never hurts to ask. You may get lucky and find someone retired that just wants to put in a few days of work every week. The problem you'll have as you grow is that eventually you'll want that person to work more. Keep that in mind as you decide who to hire.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
If I just need some bodies I go to Express Personnel and hire a few laborers.

If I need skilled landscapers I network with other contractors. There's a bigger firm in Lewiston and I can "rent" a 4 man crew for $700/day with enough notice. Basically he subs a crew to me for a day or two. I use them for more elaborate retaining walls and water features. I have a similar arrangement with a contractor in Colfax when I'm working on a big project up that way.
4 guys for $700, he must not pay those guys much.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I have a few guys who I will sub work to, but I havent needed to this year. Even when I hired employees in the past they were mainly for prep work, I like to do most of the painting myself. I have a few cabinet jobs coming up where I could use an extra body, but most people dont want to prep they want to paint. I guess there is no glory in sanding and caulking.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Try your suppliers

My first helper was a counter guy at my favorite tile supplier.

That was 16 years ago. I knew that retail guys have odd schedules. I needed a hand installing a big skylight on a kitchen job.

He was sharp witted, neat,completely ignorant about building but interested. Also trying to raise two kids on a retail job.

Long story short-- He went full time within a year(I could make money with him)--- with me five years. Now he's got his own little business up in Green Bay Wisconsin .

Nice way to try out a guy with out committing to a permanent employee.

only 1 in 100 will be sharp enough to train beyond helping hand. If you find a sharp one they want to be paid and trained.

Best of luck MIKE

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
When I was ready to make that first very difficult jump from being just me I did it through part-time help for over a year before I was able to hire my 1st full time guy.

Finding a good part-time guy is definitly a grand trick to pull off. You gotta figure that right off the bat the majority of guys who can afford to survive working only part-time you don't want working for you anyways! Then the next percentage of candidates want a full time job but they will take your part time job just long enough for you to start to depend on them and then they will tell you they are quiting for a full time gig that came through, so those are a waste of time.

The sweet spot is finding somebody who doesn't fall into all that. One of my part timers was older, he didn't want to work full time, he was thrifty as hell and did a handful of things to keep his part time lifestyle and still get by. He did photographed weddings on the weekends and plowed in the winter. So working for me 1-3 days a week was perfect for him

That the kind of guy you need to help you make this first jump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts